Stuffit Seeing Double?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Hi, I've been having problems (probably since Tiger, since that's when Stuffit hit the fan), where many items unstuff properly, but twice. If I'm unstuffing untitled.rtf (for instance), I'll get a folder "untitled" containing untitled.rtf and untitled.1. I can always trash the .1 file with no reprecussions, it's just annoying. Anybody have any solutions?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Nermal said:
Are these problems with .sit(x) files, or are you using StuffIt to open zips?
Using Stuffit to open zips. And with a little preliminary testing, it seems to only be happening to zips. I like having zip uncompress using my Suffit preferences, though, so I'd rather not give up using Stuffit for them if I can help it...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
stridey said:
Using Stuffit to open zips. And with a little preliminary testing, it seems to only be happening to zips. I like having zip uncompress using my Suffit preferences, though, so I'd rather not give up using Stuffit for them if I can help it...
I allow finder to open .zip files. Works great.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
grapes911 said:
I allow finder to open .zip files. Works great.
Only problem with that is that I frequently have zip files in a certain folder, and want to unzip them to the Desktop, and then trash the original. Stuffit makes that nice and easy.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Zips can't store Mac OS resource forks, so Apple added a workaround to their compressor. The .1 files you're seeing are basically the resource forks. BOMArchiveHelper (the default unzipper) knows to save these files into the resource fork, however StuffIt just makes two data forks. Basically, the problem is due to StuffIt not knowing how to handle the files.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Nermal said:
Zips can't store Mac OS resource forks, so Apple added a workaround to their compressor. The .1 files you're seeing are basically the resource forks. BOMArchiveHelper (the default unzipper) knows to save these files into the resource fork, however StuffIt just makes two data forks. Basically, the problem is due to StuffIt not knowing how to handle the files.
Thanks. Damn Sutffit. Or alternately, damn BOMArchiveHelper for not having preferences...