Stumbler.app-- Why?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by hooplehead, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hooplehead macrumors member

I'm new to this wifi thing, especially with my iTouch. What's the purpose of stumbler.app? Isn't there a wifi locator built into the iTouch? Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks.

2. illweather macrumors regular

Stumbler allows you to see what wireless networks are around you. It also shows the signal strength and whether the network is locked or open. Not useful if you have wireless at home, but very useful for connecting to networks in public places or other locations where you might not realize all active networks around you. Not sure what else to say, but it's a useful app that I find myself using a lot when away from home.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which is exactly what the built-in menu does. What's different?

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

5. jbarr macrumors regular

Me too. So i just downloaded it to see for myself.

The Stumbler app (as far as I can tell) does not provide connectivity like in Wettings > WiFi. It is simply informational.
    It displays:
    • SSID
    • MSSID (MAC address)
    • Channel
    • AP Mode
    • WEP status
    • WPA status
    • Signal Strength
    • If the network is hidden
    • Beacon Interval
    While probably not of much use for many, if you are into wireless connectivity or troubleshooting, I can see how this might be helpful. For example, I was having very poor connectivity in my house, and after reviewing the channels of surrounding AP's (using another Stumbler app on my WinXP notebook) I discovered that my AP was on the same channel as three other AP's. So, I set my AP with a channel that's not being used, and voila! immediate speed improvement!

But from a more practical, user-perspective, I rely on Settings > WiFi. I figure that an access point is either within range or not, and is either connectible or not, so for most users, Settings > WiFi should suite you just perfectly.