Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emozoo

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Howdy folks,

I'm in a bit of a head scratching predicament regarding my MBP. First let me begin with the specs:
  • Mid 2014
  • 15.6” MacBook Pro 512G 16G Ram
  • Independent NVIDIA GPU
I fell asleep with the laptop on, and open, and the battery died. This has been pretty run of the mill weeknight for me, but then I plugged it in and nothing. No fans, no lights, anything. This has never happened before, so I looked over to see if the charger was working and it was red, and eventually turned green, so I know the battery is holding a charge.

What do you guys think this could be? I tried to start it in safe mode, turned it on with the numerous keystroke combinations and nothing!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

PS Apple said it would be $624.00 to fix it without even looking at it lol

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
I assume you tried Shift+Ctl+Option+Power for an SMC reset? Did that make your battery LED cycle colors? Also do you have tools to open it up? I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, then do SMC reset, then try to power on again.

emozoo

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
I assume you tried Shift+Ctl+Option+Power for an SMC reset? Did that make your battery LED cycle colors? Also do you have tools to open it up? I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, then do SMC reset, then try to power on again.

Yes to the first two parts. No on taking it apart.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
sounds like dead board, but try disconnecting the battery for a while, sometimes small things can solve big problems

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Howdy folks,

I'm in a bit of a head scratching predicament regarding my MBP. First let me begin with the specs:
  • Mid 2014
  • 15.6” MacBook Pro 512G 16G Ram
  • Independent NVIDIA GPU
I fell asleep with the laptop on, and open, and the battery died. This has been pretty run of the mill weeknight for me, but then I plugged it in and nothing. No fans, no lights, anything. This has never happened before, so I looked over to see if the charger was working and it was red, and eventually turned green, so I know the battery is holding a charge.

What do you guys think this could be? I tried to start it in safe mode, turned it on with the numerous keystroke combinations and nothing!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

PS Apple said it would be $624.00 to fix it without even looking at it lol
Apple is charging you for a flat rate repair, meaning they'll swap whatever could possible cause the problem to fix it. That is pretty steep for an older machine. You might want to look into a place that does logic board repair. They could probably fix it for half that cost.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Something that has worked for me (on colleague's MBP) in the past: press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. Let go and count to 5, then press and hold the power button for a second or 2.

This may be some sort of SMC reset....

Two years ago my system board (late 2013 15-MBP) started going flakey. Self-rebooted every few weeks over the course of 6 months, eventually not able to boot reliably. I took it in and it was about $600 to get the logic board fixed. They replaced the top case, the logic board, and the 1TB SSD as part of the price. The tech explained that the quoted price was a "level one" repair or something like that. They don't charge anything higher, but replace everything they think may be an issue. (There was a small nick in the top case...)

I'm not glad I had to do it, but I'm glad I did it. The system was $3200 when I bought it, and would have been thousands to replace. It's been working like a champ ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.