Stumped: Mac Mini White Screen

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Gorge, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Gorge macrumors newbie

I pulled out the old Mac Mini from the closet and I tried to boot it up and got the chime + white screen + no Apple Logo. I don't have a mac keyboard, but connected an old dell wired keyboard to reset the pram, but nothing. Not sure if the USB works because I can't get Num Lock or Caps Lock lights to light up on the keyboard.

There is a CD inside, but I can't eject it with the typical commands (again, I wonder if it's because of the USB keyboard).

My choices are somewhat limited since I don't know if the White Screen affects USB capabilities.

How should I eject the CD with my limited capabilities? I'm thinking of connecting the Mac Mini to my MBP, but the Mini is a FW400 and my MBP is a FW800. Not sure if I can link the two.

What should I do? I do have access to an external USB DVD and I could buy another HDD if I needed to, but I'd like to test other things before I have to buy stuff, especially the tools to open up the Mini

I look forward to everyone's responses. Thank you.

Specs of Mini:
    Mac Mini 2,1- A1176
    1.83 ghz Core 2 Duo
    OS-X 10.7 (Probably)
    80GB SATA
    1 GB of RAM

2. Gorge thread starter macrumors newbie

3. useme2305 macrumors member

try alt+cmd+p+r during startup to reset the pram.

translated to a dell keyboard that'd be windows+alt+p+r

you could also try just alt during startup and see if it takes you to the boot drive selection. or try safe mode with shift during startup.

4. Gorge thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Didn't work. It won't even light up any sort of light on the keyboard.