stumped on my mac 10.3.9 please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quotrice, Jul 22, 2008.

1. quotrice macrumors newbie

this is my first mac reason being why i havent joined this forum or a forum like it before. my problem is the mac i bought came wit an admin account already on it, i have no install disc and whenever i try booting into single user mode i get the grey screen and thats it. maybe im holding down the apple and s at the wrong time idk, but any help is greatly appreciated maybe we can strike a deal for some torrent invites or something.

EDIT: it also didnt come with a dvd burner but i have my own one connected to it but i cant burn anything because when i try to install toast 8 it says i need administration rights, if u need anymore system specs to solve the problem i can get them

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You either need to contact the previous owner to get the password or get a new panther disk on ebay. Also what kind of mac is it, and what are the specs? You might be able to get a tiger or leopard if its specs are good enough.

edit: If/when you get a new disk make sure that it is a retail disk, or the reinstall disk for your exact revision (I.E. A iBook G3 rev. d disk won't work with an iBook G3 rev. b disk, and won't work with any mac besides a rev. d iBook G3. Therefor a retail disk is the easiest solution unless you can get the admin password from the previous owner).

Sorry that your in this situation.

Don

3. quotrice thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response my specs are a power mac g4 2.8 with AGP graphics. 500 MHz CPU, 512 MB memory, 100 MHz bus speed.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

No problem, you could run tiger on that powermac. I know for a fact, that Apple still sells Tiger disks, but you need to call them, because it's not available on Apple.com or in retail stores anymore. You could most likely find it on eBay cheaper though.

I bought my copy of Tiger from the same people selling this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-OS-X-10-4...ryZ80258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just to clarify, you do have a drive that can read DVD's right? If it is only a cd drive you need to find a copy of Panther.

Don

5. quotrice thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help, but would u happen to know why i cant enter single user mode?

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It quite possibly could be an error from the OS installation. I can't think of another reason why it won't work.

Don