stumped on network file sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quigleybc, Jul 7, 2008.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hi

i have a desktop and a laptop. I like to do personal filesharing over my wireless network.

i used to be able to do this very easily, but i recently reinstalled os x on the desktop computer and now it's not working.

I can access the laptop from the desktop. But I can't access my desktop from my laptop.

My desktop shows up as a 'shared' item in the sidebar of the finder. But when I click on my shared icon, nada.

I have what I think are the right settings in Sys Prefs->sharing....but still, it only works one direction.

odd...

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    man

i still can't figure this one out.

it works one way, but not the other.....

WTF
    :(

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

It could be any of a couple dozen things. I'd have to supply lots more detail. I'd start by looking at file permissons. One common reason for not being able to read a file is that you don't have read permission.

If it works in one way you know it's not a network connectivity problem so you know it's something else.

4. dual64bit macrumors 6502

When you go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing should be checked. On 10.5, you can specify certain folders to share, and permissions per folder. An administrator's credentials will work to view the entire drive. Make sure this is checked on both machines. Also, there is an options button. Make sure AFP is checked (if both machines are macs), and/or make sure SMB is checked (if sharing to a Windows machine).

What are the specs of the two machines? Both Macs? Are they both 10.5?

Attached Files:

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sounds like the cache file on the laptop. Use OnyX in Safe Boot and clear out all of your caches - system, user, etc. Then after reboot see if you still have the problem.