Stumped trying to combine New Lion Partition with Old SL partition

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Lumpydog, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

All:

I made a small 40GB partition on my SSD drive to give Lion a try. I like it. I erased the SL partition, but for the life of me can't figure out how to merge/combine the old SL partition with the new Lion partition.

Help!

Lumpy

2. NameUndecided, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Are you saying that you deleted the partition that contained Snow Leopard, but your portion of the hard drive that has Lion installed is still only 40gb?

edit: If that is the case -- go to Disk Utility, select your hard drive at the top of the sidebar on the left (not "Macintosh HD," but the hdd selection right above it), and then select the Partition tab on that screen. Resize your Partition Layout so that it takes up the whole space, rather than just 40gigs.

When I deleted my "test" Lion partition, my remaining partition didn't fill out on its own either. That's how I solved the problem though. :)

Also -- for heaven's sakes, this should go without saying but… make sure you have a backup of your hard drive before messing with the partition settings and similar.

3. Lumpydog thread starter macrumors 6502

It won't let me expand the Lion partition (I can shrink it)... The empty partition is represented above it. I see where I can grab the lower corner of the lion partition and drag it - but it won't let me consume the empty partition represented above it....

4. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Is the hard drive still divided into two partitions? You can delete the larger/empty partition completely if it's still divided. You might need to boot from a disc though in order to allow the deletion (you can try, but it will probably tell you the partition can't unmount).

If you need to boot from a disc to get to Disk Utility that way, you can find out how to make a bootable Lion disc here: http://www.macworld.com/article/161069/2011/07/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

If it's still all just one partition but you can't expand the storage space, the only thing I can think of is to try it from the boot disc anyway. I hope that helps!