Stunning Animations

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xabhishek, Aug 5, 2007.

1. xabhishek macrumors newbie

xabhishek

I am currently waiting for my MacBook Pro to arrive. It's scheduled delivery date is 8th August.

This happens to be my first post on the MacRumors Forum and I had some queries to ask.

Firstly, I love watching movies and making them too. The only editing tool I've used till now is Adobe Premiere Pro on Windows, and I've never been satisfied with the amount of flexibility it gives me.

I would like to know whether buying Final Cut Studio is a good idea and whether I'll be able to create those stunning visuals I see in all the latest sci-fi movies. As far as animation is concerned, I'm quite proficient with Adobe Flash but have never tried anything in 3D because of hardware limitations.

The work I would like to do would be something like the work you see here:
    http://www.peerlessproductions.com/vfx.html

Thanks in advance

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Final Cut Studio 2 + Apple Shake 4.1 + 3D editing program of choice would give you the freedom to do pretty much any special effects you can think of. Add Logic Pro 7.2 if you are interested in composing your own soundtracks as well.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

If you buy the Suite you will be more then fine. But the previous poster hit it as well.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If your main goal is effects like you saw in the videos you linked to you'll want to look at compositing and 3D applications (as Cromulent mentioned). FCS 2 is a great bundle of apps but it doesn't sound like it's quite what you are looking for.

Lethal

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

If you're an amateur, buy Final Cut Studio and then start playing with Motion. I've been using it for special effects in some of my students' movies and I'm constantly surprised how flexible it is as an all-round special effects or graphics application.

You can do most of what is featured at the link you gave. Once you've learnt basic compositing of effects, and even green-screening, you could move onto 3D graphics and import them into Motion.

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

To give you some idea of how other software compares to Final Cut, read this. I thought it was enlightening.

7. superman666 macrumors regular

To be completely honest, and I am, to no extent, an expert in Final Cut (yet..), but i'm not very impressed with what it can do. Of course I have Final cut express and not final cut pro, but I too came from Adobe Premiere Pro. Adobe Premiere was alot easier for me, because you never had to render anything (until it needed to be exported obviously), and stuff like the title's seemed easier to create. I'm sure working with HD would be easier in Adobe Premiere Pro (assuming it would work at all).

With Final Cut Express, even with 'Dynamic RT', i have had problems with rendering, which is very frustrating. Rending shots after nearly every effect/overlay I do can restrict me of doing the 'beyond' in a project, because i'm mearly too pissed to continue. I've also encountered problems such as text pixelation, and HDV/DV exporting.

Although, than again I am an amatuer 'filmmaker' still in high school, and in no way an expert in Final Cut. Additionally i'm sure that creating projects in FCP removes loads of boundaries.

8. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

True on the titling, FCP keyframing sucks.

9. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

those fx's that kid did were pretty cool if i must say so myself.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Thats why LiveType is included.