Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Nah... It's just that many on this forum thinks that the PC world as been in a state of hibernation since they left it for the Apple world. PC case design is one of the most active field in the pc world, with many new cases coming out each week. There are case with motherboard tray that slide out available if you fancy those. Most of the new cases are also tool less for the drives and the psu. The PC world is about choices and there is plenty of it.

Reactions: VAGDesign

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Nah... It's just that many on this forum thinks that the PC world as been in a state of hibernation since they left it for the Apple world. PC case design is one of the most active field in the pc world, with many new cases coming out each week. There are case with motherboard tray that slide out available if you fancy those. Most of the new cases are also tool less for the drives and the psu. The PC world is about choices and there is plenty of it.

Exactly - my point that I'm trying to make is that given the proper quality PC components, they're BOTH fantastic choices these days, which is phenomenal!

Let's keep this thread on track with cases and the like - because of this thread I've discovered cases I never knew existed.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Exactly - my point that I'm trying to make is that given the proper quality PC components, they're BOTH fantastic choices these days, which is phenomenal!

Let's keep this thread on track with cases and the like - because of this thread I've discovered cases I never knew existed.

HardOCP is a great site for the latest news about cases.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I use a sharkoon T9 value white case, its decent value (£60) although its a bit flimsy it gets the job done. The front is made of plastic but at least it looks clean. I bought an extra accessory that allows me to mount an extra fan on the front. I have three fans pushing for positive pressure.

I don't like cases that have vents on the side/top. I just want ambient air in the front and hot air out the back like the old Mac Pro and most PC workstations. I am not interested in watercooling. I wouldn't mind a PC case like the ones Supermicro make, with lots of HDs at the front and with the fans in the middle.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I still like the Corsair Graphite series of cases, simple and perfect for my needs.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-series-600t

I like Corsair cases in general. They're reasonably well thought out and easy to work on. I ordered and power supply converter for my Z600 (http://www.moddiy.com/products/HP-Z...in-to-18%2b10%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html) that will allow me to use an ATX power supply so I'm going to get a case and mod it to fit that board. I think I'm going to go with an Obsidian 750D that will get me 10 HD bays and enough 5 1/4 slots for some hot plug bays.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
I use an old school Lian Li case for my Hack:
lian-li-pc-v1000z.jpg

The wheels help for mobility and even have a brake!

Moonshot

macrumors member
May 24, 2015
Planet Earth

If I remember right, back when Apple ported OS X to the Intel platform they used PCs internally to do so, and also shipped them to developers, as they didn't have Intel Macs out yet. I think they were Pentium 4 or Pentium D, as the new Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs were not available yet. It's been a very long time since then, and maybe I don't remember everything correctly, but I don't think it would be incorrect to assume that Apple is still using PCs internally for development. Of course, if I am wrong please don't be upset with me.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
If I remember right, back when Apple ported OS X to the Intel platform they used PCs internally to do so, and also shipped them to developers, as they didn't have Intel Macs out yet. I think they were Pentium 4 or Pentium D, as the new Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPUs were not available yet. It's been a very long time since then, and maybe I don't remember everything correctly, but I don't think it would be incorrect to assume that Apple is still using PCs internally for development. Of course, if I am wrong please don't be upset with me.

Well considering an intel mac is in fact just a plain old pc with uefi, that wouldn't surprise me.
For me a pc is a pc, be it a mac or a windows based one. They're all made in China anyway :) (except for the nMP, but even then I would like to know how many of its component are really made in the US and not just slapped togheter in the US).

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
They're all made in China anyway :) (except for the nMP, but even then I would like to know how many of its component are really made in the US and not just slapped togheter in the US).

I think "slapped together" is a bit of "like it's nothing" way to put it - I'd say it's pretty big. Apple is doing everything they can on their side to bring all the assembly over to the U.S, which is way more than any other PC or electronics manufacture is doing these days. Unless you count high end HiFi companies manufacturing their stuff in their country of origin, such as McIntosh amps and NAIMM.

Apple can't control the origin of production of Intel CPUs, AMD GPUs, or Delta PSUs, but Apple is taking a huge step past the competition by having it all finally assembled, and the case manufactured, here in the U.S

This isn't a jab or attack at you at all, just saying saying it's pretty cool, and a big deal especially vs. everyone else.

Now is being assembled off shore bad? Not necessarily, and the quality is generally identical between off shore Macs and U.S Macs, and but I think you still gotta give them credit for bring at least some of it back to the U.S

Also as for the Intel transition - the first Intel Macs shipped to dev when Apple was ditching PPC were 3.6Ghz (or 3.8, not sure) Pentium 4's on a specialized Intel motherboard made specifically for Apple by Intel, and all of it was wrapped up in a modified PowerMac G5 case.

janil

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2006
I use a Mac all day at work that’s one of the reasons I don’t at home.

This makes complete sense to me. I use a mac at home because I'm a windows developer by day. It's nice not to use the same operating system all of the time.

I did built a Xeon e3 with a Lian Li V700 case in the last year, because it was hard to justify $4k+ for a Mac Pro. The new Mac Pro is beautiful , though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
This makes complete sense to me. I use a mac at home because I'm a windows developer by day. It's nice not to use the same operating system all of the time.

I did built a Xeon e3 with a Lian Li V700 case in the last year, because it was hard to justify $4k+ for a Mac Pro. The new Mac Pro is beautiful , though.

This is pretty much what did it for me too, except the opposite way.

Linux admin by day, and got tired of going home to another Linux box and a windows box for very light gaming/flightsimming at that. Regardless, I was maintaining them myself, which was just getting tedious. I just got tired of maintaining packages and compiling kernels on my own. Plus that kept me in the home office for hours on end and no time with family.

Went to a MBA and haven't looked back. Plus if I need to get on the computer, I'm out with family in the living room instead of in a cave.

Either way, I went with that BitFenix Prodigy case as it looked like a junior version of the old Mac Pro case, plus despite its specs, is a Mini-ITX case. Built a hackintosh out of it just to see if I liked it, then turned it into a full-blown windows box. I just have one last mod to make to it, in pulling out my last 3.5" drive and throwing in another SSD in its place, and I'm done with building computers full stop.

BL.

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
image.jpg
I actually dont like the look of this case, but the toolless functionality and great cooling sold me and I got it for $80 brand new! It has a 2.5/3.5 sata docking station with eSATA and USB3 built in to the top which I couldnt resist.

Last edited:
Reactions: AidenShaw

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
This is pretty much what did it for me too, except the opposite way.

Linux admin by day, and got tired of going home to another Linux box and a windows box for very light gaming/flightsimming at that. Regardless, I was maintaining them myself, which was just getting tedious. I just got tired of maintaining packages and compiling kernels on my own. Plus that kept me in the home office for hours on end and no time with family.

Went to a MBA and haven't looked back. Plus if I need to get on the computer, I'm out with family in the living room instead of in a cave.

Either way, I went with that BitFenix Prodigy case as it looked like a junior version of the old Mac Pro case, plus despite its specs, is a Mini-ITX case. Built a hackintosh out of it just to see if I liked it, then turned it into a full-blown windows box. I just have one last mod to make to it, in pulling out my last 3.5" drive and throwing in another SSD in its place, and I'm done with building computers full stop.

BL.

I stopped building my own too. My last three pcs were ordered from Dell. I have a corporate deal with them so I get a bit more for my $$$. I buy the best XPS model available and use what I save to get myself a top of the line GPU, that way I'm set for the next 3 to 4 years.

I also use Mac and Linux. I was planning to replace my aging iMac last year but I didn't since no models fit my need. The 21" iMac is too limited, the 27" too pricey and the nMP... Well the less said the better.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Found this cool little bit - never heard of this guy or channel before, but some pretty unique tech stuff. Now of course the inside screams DON'T LOOK AT ME, but the outside appearance of the case isn't bad at all.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Bit of a necro-post, apologies for that, but I noticed a press release from Streacom announcing their new DA2 PC case. I remember that this topic existed and, given how it looks, thought it might be worthwhile throwing it in here. It reminds me of the classic Mac Pro...but rotated 90 degrees. According to more detailed specs the case is made of aluminium.

da2_announcement.gif

Reference: http://www.streacom.com/news-item/da2-product-announcement/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.