Stupid 4870 question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by osxpete, Dec 2, 2009.

1. osxpete macrumors newbie

Just bought a 4870 card for my Mac Pro version 1.1 and have a question about Molex cables. According to the instruction book the connection point on the logic board is in a differant spot than mine. Attached is photos showing my connecting points (i think) - higher up and to left of those in the instructions. Are they in a different spot on later versions?

Attached Files:

2. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

mine are in a similar place. (Mac Pro 3,1)

those are the correct ones to power your 4870 :D

3. Bat Commander macrumors member

Good luck with the 4870. If it dies, Apple will not acknowledge the warranty for it because it's not made for that computer. It sucks, but it's a fact.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

But if you bought a third party one and flashed it, the original manufacturer of that card would. Not for use in OS X, but hardware failure.

Weird, eh?

5. Bat Commander macrumors member

Yeah. That's what I ended up doing. I put a Radeon 4890 in my Mac Pro and it's working great. If this card dies, it's totally up to the manufacturer to replace the card and they can't discriminate about what machine I have it in. I'm pretty sure if the card dies, I can send it in and they'll check it out regardless of what kind of computer I took it out of... for all they know, I have a regular PC built from scratch.

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ah that's the way it is with good old Apple... ;)

7. CoryTV macrumors member

Funny you should mention this..

Just yesterday, I was elbow deep in my Mac, replacing my 5160s with 5655. I figured as long as I was doing this, I'd get a 4870 as well (my ebayed sapphire is on the way right now) Since the cables that come with the card are pc based, I decided to go the route of using the optical bay molex (same as PC molex)

First of all, yeah, those are the mac connectors for the GPU. You can see my existing 1900xt connector right between the 2 molex connectors.

You can see in the pic that I took a long molex y-adapter and pushed it through the little hole with the other cabling up into the optical bay. I switched the cable in the DVD-R so that the end of the cable was plugged into the drive, and the middle connector (closer to the front now) was plugged into the y cable. When the optical bay was back in place, I could pull the 2 ends of the y connector far enough to clear the fan shroud, and I should have no probs connecting the Sapphire when it comes.

Attached Files: