Stupid Apple TV question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by falkedup, Nov 17, 2013.

1. falkedup macrumors regular

I want to get this straight. You can set up a brand new Apple TV with your iPhone 4S and up, but you can't put an already set up Apple TV on a new wifi network with your iPhone when you forget your remote?

Am I missing something?

2. cynics macrumors G3

Stupid Apple TV question

Well you need the Apple TV to be on the same wifi network as the phone.

Although I'm not sure I don't see how you could set up a new Apple TV with the phone since you'll need to enter a password for it to join the network.

You might be able to use an Ethernet cable initially for both circumstances.

(I never tried tapping the phone to the ATV. Does that work? Lol)

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

yep using bluetooth
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_...v-just-by-touching-it-with-your-ios-7-device/

if you have a new wifi network that the aTV isn't connected to, how are the aTV and the remote app supposed to talk to each other? they need to be on the same network.
    this is a good thing, so once you're setup, people cant come and mess with your settings.

you should be able to hardwire the aTV to the new network, and also connect your phone via wifi to that network. The remote app should work then, and you can enter your new wifi name and password.

also most universal remotes come with the apple codes now, so if wherever you are has one, you should be able to use that.
    even the remotes from the cable company might work (time warner info)

4. falkedup thread starter macrumors regular

My question is why can the Apple TV use your iPhones Bluetooth in the initial setup but not after it's set up and connecting to a new wifi network, say a hotels wifi.(that the phone is already connected to)

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My guess is BT = low bandwidth perfectly OK for setup purposes, not suitable for normal AV streaming, plus when out of the box, ATV NEEDS to be configured for WIFI, so a chicken or egg scenario.

6. falkedup thread starter macrumors regular

I feel like people still aren't getting my question.
    I just wanted to connect my Apple TV to the hotel wifi the same way you set up a new Apple TV with the Bluetooth from an iphone(tap it).

Why is it that you can tap your iphone to an Apple TV that isn't set up and connect it to wifi(without a remote) but you can't use your iphone to connect your Apple TV that's already setup to a new network ie hotel wifi(without a remote)?

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Probably because people wouldn't want to inadvertently put their phone near the AppleTV and lose all their settings. Guarentee if Apple allowed it more than just the initial setup, there would be people here complaining about how they had to re-setup their AppleTV because they sat their phone next to it on their entertainment center.

You can't make everyone happy.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Never tried this myself.

Wild guess: in order to do this, this new setting cannot take hold immediately, because you are USING IT, so the new settings has to go somewhere and THEN you have to reboot before the new settings are loaded and take hold. And you hope the settings are correct, because if not, you will be locked out.

Then again, Apple can only anticipate so much, it can't predict every action the customer may take and provide you every possible option.

Travel with the remote, is not that big, problem solved.