stupid audio jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jillianbrynn, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jillianbrynn macrumors newbie

15" macbook pro
    so my dumb audio jack crapped out on me (audio out)
    long story short, a plug fell off and was stuck in there, i dislodged it with tweezers. then that dumb red sensor was on and i jiggled a pin in there (per advice i found on here) and it went off. the red light went on again, jiggled the pin, lo, a piece of metal fell out. so i have to replace the jack.

the questions are as follows:

have i ****ed up my warranty? (the computer is a little less than one year old... not sure of the warranty because i bought it through school)

if i replace the jack, does the whole logic board need to be replaced or is there some soldering that can take place?

cost analysis (of the jack - i know a whole logic board is billions of dollars, and repair costs)?

i would take it to have it fixed at my school but theyll be closed for the winter break.

thank you, kindly.

edit: i have no sound on the computer at all right now. the red light continues to burn my eyes and theres nothing there for a jack to connect with.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

All new Macs regardless of where you purchase from come with a 1-yr warranty. But you were tinkering with the audio jack so I do not know if you have voided the warranty. Take it to a Genius and cross your fingers.

3. ivan1234 macrumors regular

either way you need to get it fixed so I would just bring it in for repair and hope that apple covers it but i wouldn't count on it.