Stupid binders among other things

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wywern209, Sep 2, 2009.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

A while back, i had a thread about good schools bags. I kinda figured out what has been wrecking my bags all this time. those frikin binders that every single teacher at my school wants me to buy. not only are they more expensive than normal folders but also tear up the synthetic material inside my bag. i just got a new swiss gear bag for my junior year of high school. i have yet to have a single bag last more than 1 yr.Why are my teachers overly obsessed with organization and binders???:confused: i manage just fine with folders.My school is also requiring EVERY class to take notes in the cornell:mad::mad::mad::mad: format. i never had to turn in my NOTES. Apparently it helps studying and crap like that. i got straight As before the stupid notes method was invented and i am sure ill be just fine without it now. i think the school's reasoning is that stupid students might do better if they had more organization but seriously, what about those that were getting As before... THIS IS NOT COMMUNISM!!!* ARGH:mad: feel free to post your school related rants here. :D

*no it is not sparta either.

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I had no idea what Cornell format meant, so I took a look. It looks like they're trying to force people to be concise and distill out the key points from a lecture.

Explaining something in 6 words that others use 50 for is a key skill for most types of interaction. It is beating it into you now that you may be in a situation where you're flooded with information, and you need to structure it in a way so that you can go back and find it again later. It also looks like an initial stage in a slideshow design, geared to presenting information in a concise manner.

I think binders is a way to force people to stop turning in or using spiral notebook paper. Folders is a great way for small amounts of information, but for rapid access to any piece of data within a set of documents, a binder's the way to go.

Add to that if your folder were to slip out of the bag, or get bent, all of the contents can be rearranged and or damaged. A binder will take the beating.

Side note: school is not designed to create individuals. It is designed to keep you in a building for 33%+ of your formative years so that your parents can work until you can work.

3. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I use 2 1.5" binders and 3 1" binders for school. I bring everything home with me. At school, why not just put the stuff you won't be needing for a while in your locker? I do it, and it works just fine. I also put my backpack in there because we're required to. This year, I've made a deal with myself to be organized and binders really help. I don't see how I could be organized with folders.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I use these. They're more expensive then normal binders, but they are 100x better. They expand as you need them to expand, and they are a lot lighter then normal binders, plus because they're soft plastic, they don't tear backpacks up.

Don

5. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

it is the fact that i have to turn in the notes that rly makes me mad. its notes. it doesn't need to be graded... plus, with cornell, we are being forced to write the same info in 3 places. i swear this is all the governments plan to piss us off..:mad: