Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
K, a long time ago, my dad placed a BIOS password on the Dell computer that i use( an old pentium 4 desktop). it was relevant back then because it was the family computer and he didn't want me screwing up anything. but, now since im the only one who uses it now( my mom has a laptop of her own and my dad has an imac.), i was figuring that he might remove it because it is pretty pointless now. this is not a problem with normal usage of the computer, but when i restart the PC for windows update or something, it prompts me for a password i have no idea what it is. I know i can just remove the CMOS battery in the mobo but i don't feel like tinkering with the hardware. i Have asked him several times to at least tell me the password because i am the ONLY person who uses the computer as such there is no need for the password but he won't tell me nor will he remove it due to laziness.... any way of getting past this password without touching the hardware because it is really beginning to piss me off.
P.s i've tried the back door passwords for the bios. tried Dell, and the phoenix password and such. doesn't work. stupid password:mad:
/rant

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Short answer: No, you have to reset the battery. Upside is its not really that hard, and almost impossible to screw something up.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
K, a long time ago, my dad placed a BIOS password on the Dell computer that i use( an old pentium 4 desktop). it was relevant back then because it was the family computer and he didn't want me screwing up anything. but, now since im the only one who uses it now( my mom has a laptop of her own and my dad has an imac.), i was figuring that he might remove it because it is pretty pointless now. this is not a problem with normal usage of the computer, but when i restart the PC for windows update or something, it prompts me for a password i have no idea what it is. I know i can just remove the CMOS battery in the mobo but i don't feel like tinkering with the hardware. i Have asked him several times to at least tell me the password because i am the ONLY person who uses the computer as such there is no need for the password but he won't tell me nor will he remove it due to laziness.... any way of getting past this password without touching the hardware because it is really beginning to piss me off.
P.s i've tried the back door passwords for the bios. tried Dell, and the phoenix password and such. doesn't work. stupid password:mad:
/rant

Or perhaps he has forgotten the password and if it has one of them security chips on it then your screwed anyways you cannot not recover without a lot of hassle sometimes it is not even possible then depending on the model..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.