stupid *&^#*&^ cds

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pengu, Aug 19, 2007.

1. pengu macrumors 6502a

ok, im sick of this. i bought a spindle of 50 blank CD-Rs (sony) and so far i've burnt 6 successfully and 3 have been "duds". or so it seems. i try to burn them (audio CDs in itunes) and it says "initializing" forever. cant cancel it, even if eventually get itunes to quit (force quit does nothing, kill -9 does nothing, killall does nothing) the disc refuses to eject, and so far the only way has been to reboot.

why the hell can something that can be as flaky as a CD-R "force" a restart before a machine can be used again!? and more importantly, is this issue fixed in 10.5???

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like an incompatibility with the CD hardware/firmware. I don't see how 10.5 can help.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i would suggest either:

that the cd's are being a bitch. maybe a bad bunch??
    OR
    your dvd drive is being pooey.

oh sometimes if my computer gets bumped slightly (e.g. i drum on it) it will completely stuff up the process. the lesson: dont drum :p

4. pengu thread starter macrumors 6502a

so, the firmware is incompatible with the THREE discs that have failed, out of the hundreds i've burnt since i've had it?

also, i fully accept that a number of CDs will be *****. what im NOT happy about is that OSX handles said ***** discs so poorly. in the end, i checked the logs in Console.app and itunes was getting failure statuses returned from the drive, so it retried 3 times, then said "giving up" but then it tried to READ from the disc it previously failed to WRITE to, and just as before, it failed, three times, said it was giving up, and then promptly continued to hang onto the disc.

yeah, i found a post on some other forum saying a cleaning CD might improve.. given the price of drives i might just buy a new, faster drive.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

those discs that failed..... did anything burn on them at all?? like can you reopen another session in say..xp and see if it burns.

that will possibly break down the number of possibilities.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They are all off the same spindle, so effectively all the same. It sounds like those particular CDs are borderline burnable with the driver/firmware revision you have. Firmware for CD drives has a big lookup table for the strategy/power settings etc for different types of media. Blank media has an encoded ID on it to help the drive. If new IDs for new types of CDs get created after the drive is released a firmware update can be released to include these. Without this the drive resorts to a kind of guessing mode which is not nearly so likely to succeed. Therefore I'd say those CDs don't play well with your drive.

7. pengu thread starter macrumors 6502a

nothing burned at all.. the first two, when i rebooted, were still in the drive, and it came up with the "this disc is unreadable" message. eject, put it back in and it appears as a blank disc. i'll try them @ work on a dell/xp machine tomorrow.. meantime it seems to be hit and miss to burn some music :(

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok thats a good idea, it will tell ya kinda where the problem lies more specifically.

on a different note, i read your sig one day. and loved it and couldnt find you again. i just realised that its you. thanks i love that quote!!!

9. pengu thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe its great isnt it.
    im always around here somewhere, causing trouble and ranting about this or that..

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. trouble maker aye. i know your lot! jks

hope you can figure out your problem

11. l'homme macrumors member

i've experienced that with sony discs when using Toast Titanium, i would recommend Verbatim, Imation cdr's, good price for the bunch.;)