Stupid dog ate my charger...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rasmoose, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Rasmoose macrumors newbie

... seriously :-D

The beast was lying right next to me while my brother and I were playing with my new MBP. All of a sudden, the cable is a little more loose than it is supposed to be. And as it turns out: He bit the thin cable (between the charger and the computer) in two :-(

I've already been in contact with Apple Store with no luck. Since the MagSafe is welded together, there is no way I can replace the cable. I intend to fix it by using a cable connector in order to use it at my desk at home, and then buy a new one for uni etc. However, it seems that the new and slightly smaller model hasn't hit Apple Store yet? All I can find is the old model. Does anyone have an idea as to when it is going to be released?

Thanks in advance.

Rasmus

2. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Dogs aren't stupid, humans are for leaving things out. :D

3. alex000it macrumors member

Just weld the cable ends & isolate them. It's cheap and It works fine :D

That's what I've done after MY DOG did so a few years ago

4. Rasmoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, that's what I intend to do. However, I would like a new one with a proper cable, since I need to wrap it up several times a day.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Then why not just fork over the $79(?) to Apple?

6. Rasmoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Because the only sell the old 85W MagSafe, which is slightly bigger than the one that came with my MBP.

Just got the thing working again (using a cable connector), but I am still looking for a new 85W MagSafe - the newest version that comes with the most recent MBP. If anyone knows when this model is going to hit the stores, please give us a shout :)

Have a great weekend.

7. Rasmoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange. Amazon (or rather, that computer retailer) stocks it, but Apple Store doesn't? Unfortunately, I live in Denmark, so I need a European retailer (and a EU plug, if possible) :) Amazon.co.uk charges 85 pounds, which is way more than the Apple Store charges for the old version, so that's not really an option either.

But thanks for the link, but it doesn't ship outside the US.

8. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

9. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Why even bother?

Why would you even need a new one? Can't you get one of those snapping cable connectors that will leave a clean finish? If anyone asks what the deal is with the thing, you'll have a nice story to tell.

Taxes are high, life is short, might as well put the money to better use....

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

depressing attitude

11. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Lol

To make this a useful post: You should really get a new adapter just for safety's sake...

12. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

It's all of 18 volts at like an amp or two, that is pretty safe.

13. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I was thinking more of a possible fire hazard...**** happens.

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I'd be more worried about the dog than an $80 charger.

15. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

When you get your new cable you might try something like "Bitter Apple" and putting that on the cables to keep doggy from chewing it again.

It, or something like it, should be available at a pet store or WalMart.

16. six.four macrumors 6502

you can buy a pretty cheap 3rd party charger for around ~40 bucks shipped on ebay (if I remember correctly)... assuming you live in the US.

17. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

So what's the big difference in the 85w magsafe adapter that you can't accept the ones currently available? How much smaller is the new model? It must be a lot smaller to be that important.

What would be of more interest to me is the durability of the thin wire, which has become twisted on mine just by wrapping the cable the way it was designed. Mine just got twisted over time - and I didn't twist it, just wrapped it tight enough to pack away. It still works, but I don't think it will last all that long. Hopefully, they've improved that on the new ones, because it's a weak link on the previous magsafe adapters. That would be reason for me to prefer one over the other.

18. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

yeah man jsut look around, im sure you can find it somewhere that ships it to europe. the internet is a big place!!!!!