Stupid for college students to get iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

On college there is practically Wifi everywhere. So you are essentially paying $30 a month for nothing. You can just use Wifi and then for phone calls you can have a typical cell phone. Is there anyway to opt out of the $30 a month? Data plan, I believe...

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Get an ipod touch

3. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Mikel30 macrumors member

So then why are you considering an iPhone? You just asked if you could cancel the cell network part of an iPhone, which would basically leave you with an iPod Touch.

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    i think in almost all cases an iphone is a luxury, so i can't really answer your question, but i wanted to add you can get 15% off the monthly bill, which I assume includes the data plan as a student

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

If you are paying for it yes.

If your parent's are paying for it , no.:D

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have an iPhone because I like having internet anywhere I go, I'm not always at college so I don't always have WiFi.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do not find it stupid for a college student to have an iPhone at all.

10. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a way to have an iPhone without the data plan? Since I will practically always be on Wifi

11. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

No I believe AT&T stopped that didn't they? I think upon buying it you are locked in. I could be wrong though.

12. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I sold my iPod touch + other stuff to get an iPhone 2G. Unlocked it to use with my current plan without the data, cause I'm practically around wireless all the time whether its in my room or on campus, and I still dont even use the wireless that much. I use it to check my school email, and thats about it. Other than that, it beats having to carry a phone + ipod touch around, dont have to whip out the touch then pause then answer the phone, and its my alarm clock.

I got it cause it was convenient for me.

13. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Could I buy an iPhone 3GS with a new 2 year contract, unlock it and just use my current ATT SIM card? No Data plan?!?!

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

If you buy from Apple/AT&T then you have to get the data plan. If anything, your going to have to try to buy one off of eBay or CL but.. good luck finding a reasonably price unlocked 3GS...

15. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a way to unlock it? But if I did unlock it... would that free me from the $30?

16. outphase macrumors 65816

Unlocking it means you can use it on T-Mobile in addition to AT&T. There's a thread on this board where some users are being switched onto a specific data plan.

17. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, but you have to get the phone from somewhere else, first.

18. frunze macrumors member

Get another job, pay the $30 and be the coolest student on campus.

19. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

seems like there is no way around this. No need to continue this thread...

20. juswest macrumors regular

I go other places than to class and the library...When I'm out I like for certain apps to work...So yea..It's not stupid

21. kousuke18 macrumors regular

just stick with your ipod touch if you don't want a data plan. an iphone without a data plan is basically a ipod touch...

i initially bought a used iphone 3g and unlocked it to use as a pay as you go with no data plan and quickly realized how crippled the phone was. I ended up selling it for the same amount I purchased it for and got the 3G S with no regrets.

22. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Really? Cause last time I checked I could still text and make phone calls on my 2G without data plan.

23. lavinci macrumors 6502

I use it just for the convenience to phone and internet at the same time rather than having to carry a blackberry or something and an ipod touch.

24. kousuke18 macrumors regular

lol my point is that why spend the extra money on getting a iphone without a data plan when he already has a ipod touch and a cellphone in which he can make calls/text. I guess for portability... but the question is, is it worth it to spend so much money just for portability.

25. H2K03 macrumors member

I agree. Just stay with the touch if you don't want to pay for the data plan. But it is convenient to have a connection almost anywhere (except where AT&T signal sucks). And you don't spend all day on campus do you?