Stupid Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lesolar, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Lesolar macrumors newbie

Here is a stupid hard drive question to get the week going.. is there a easy way to get my itunes directory to span 2 drives? or to make 2 drives appear as one? my itunes drive is getting full and I wanted to add another 1tb to it..

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

You can disable the automatic import into the iTunes library inside of the preferences and then you can put the media anywhere you want. Itunes just creates a link inside the library to the media.

3. Lesolar thread starter macrumors newbie

was mostly looking to get the directory to span both drives for downloads.. though i guess i can just move the pointer so that current downloads go to the new drive... stuff that Itunes has already mapped to should still work though right?

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

If you have that much music, and are going to add a 1tb drive, why not just move all of your music to that drive and then just work with it all from there?

By doing this you are consolidating everything in one place which is better for managing it. You also free up space on your primary drive which is a good thing because OS X likes to have a decent amount of free space to run nice n smooth.

just my .02

5. Lesolar thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not just music.. its movies and videos as well.. they are already on a secondary drive.. its just gotten full.. but am I correct in that i can point itunes to a new folder on a new drive and it will still keep the location of the files it has already mapped?

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

If the videos are the majority, Move them to an external and hold option or something like that while dragging them back in the library. It will add them, but not copy them to the local library.

The movies will all be on the external, and the internal will be just music. You can also (if it's not a problem) create an entirely separate library for videos on the external.

quit iTunes, Launch it while holding "Option" and select "create new library". Place the new library on the external drive, and begin importing the movies. Repeat the step again to access the music library, but choose "Use existing library" instead of the create new library option.

Point it to the music library file and you're all set. I did this before with 2 libraries. To make it go faster, I put aliases of the 2 library files in a folder in the Finder Sidebar. I would just say "use existing", click finder, and click on one of the aliases.

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Lesolar

You could make two physical drives appear as on Logical drive by RAID'ing them. RAID level 0 would do it, however, you'd wipe both drives to do it. Additionally, you'd need both drive to be the same size for you to do it at all.