Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok, so I have a mac running snow leopard, a pc at work running windows xp and a PS3. I have an external hard drive that I want to load all of my media onto that will be read by all 3 units. What do I need to format the drive as?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AFAIK, the fact that the PS3 is on your list makes your answer a gimme. You pretty much have to use FAT32 (and it doesn't support individual files that are >4GB). Unless something changed, and the PS3 got NTFS support. NTFS would probably be the go-to answer otherwise, because it supports large files and works well on both OS X (with either a system settings modification or installing something like NTFS-3G) and Windows.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
AFAIK, the fact that the PS3 is on your list makes your answer a gimme. You pretty much have to use FAT32 (and it doesn't support individual files that are >4GB). Unless something changed, and the PS3 got NTFS support. NTFS would probably be the go-to answer otherwise, because it supports large files and works well on both OS X (with either a system settings modification or installing something like NTFS-3G) and Windows.

Yeah, FAT32 is the only way to go if you want to use it with PS3. You could use NTFS and then use an app like PS3 Media Server to stream content from Mac to PS3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.