Stupid Host File question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

How do I edit host files? Formerly JB'd iP4 on 4.1 using Windows 7 PC. Still running 4.1 - last time I tried to update and re-JB, it went to crap (likely because my host files we still pointing to Cydia).

Got married, travelled for work, and 6 months + later, I'm about ready to try and JB again. Problem is, I don't know how to edit the host files should I need to if something goes wrong. Searched, but found only instructions of what to edit and not how to get to it (now using a 2008 MacBook, if that matters).

Thanks from the noob...

2. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Get iFile and edit it using the built in text editor in /etc/hosts

3. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

From what I recall, iFile is run on the device itself correct? This presents a problem if the device is not JB, and cannot be JB without editing host files. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the process.

Thanks.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

When restoring to current firmware (4.1 for 3GS is the one exception of this as Apple still signs it), point host file at Apple for authentication.
    When restoring to older firmware (iOS4) and hash files are stored on Cydia server, point host file at Cydia.
    When restoring to older firmware (iOS4) and hash files are stored locally (on your computer), you can use TSS server. Use of the TSS server is rarely needed.
    For iOS5 restores which require the hash and APTicket files to be stitched to IPSW, the authentication has been added to the IPSW, doesn't matter where the host file points.

Download TinyUmbrella, Advanced Tab, check or uncheck the point hosts to Cydia depending on your needs.

5. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks dhlizard - that's actually a big help. Didn't know that about iOS5.

That said, any word on how to edit host files while running stock firmware and attempting to JB (just out of curiosity)?

Thanks again!