Stupid HP printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Starjumper7, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Starjumper7 macrumors newbie

Starjumper7

Hi everyone, I just got a new HP printer, it's an HP Deskjet 4300, and got rid of my old printer an HP Photosmart C4200.

NOW, when I try to print something with an appleworks document that had used the old printer when I try to print something I get a message that says something like "Sorry, cant find the C4200 printer".

Well, it doesn't take a friggin' rocket scientist to figure that out, I can't find the old printer either.

I try deleting all Hp software I could find and reinstalling the new software and the same thing happens.

How can I fix this??? Dynamite under computer? It's a Mac Mini

HELP.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll want to go to System Preferences/Print & Fax and add the printer.

3. Starjumper7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Starjumper7

Thanks, that was fast, and it worked! Kind of like the old "chooser"

I have another question. I want to use 'plain paper' or inkjet paper instead of photo paper so that I can select the black ink cartridge only instead of color. How can I do that?

Thanks

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The print window, when maximized (click the little arrow on it) has options for each printer specifically. Mess around with them until you find the one where you can choose print type and quality (I forget what generic menu it's under).

5. Starjumper7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Starjumper7

Thanks, I've played with that window but 'plain paper' or 'black ink only' aren't highlighted so I can't choose them. I think it might have something to do with the original apple works drawing settings, which came off an earlier computer, a G4. I guess I'll copy the drawing to a new document and see if that allows me to change it.

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

This sounds strange and I don't know why this happens but it happens. With color printers you still use a little color to print B&W. I was told this by HP when I was having a printer serviced...

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You mean greyscale? Should just work, strange. HP is one of the manufacturers that let's you print in greyscale if you have one color empty for example. Have you the latest print driver?