Stupid iPhoto Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhingsto, Aug 21, 2007.

1. bhingsto macrumors newbie

I am a new owner of a 2.2 MBP and absolutely loving it so far! I have a quick question about iPhoto. As soon as I got it I uploaded all of my photos into iPhoto. When I am on msn I am trying to change my display picture, but I am not sure how to select from my iPhoto library. I have tried going through applications and through my pictures folder. When I am in either of those folders I can't click in to my iPhoto library. Anyone able to help me out?

P.S. I have iPhoto '08 if that makes a difference.

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you need to open iPhoto, choose the photo, drag it out of iPhoto onto the desktop (or elsewhere), and then select it in MSN.

One of the reasons I don't let iPhoto organize my photos for me. It may be tightly integrated with other iLife applications, but not with a lot of others that I use much more often.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Although that is an issue with the way MSN for Mac was written, not a flaw of iPhoto.

4. bhingsto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the quick answer. I was beginning to think it was something like that and not my sanity!

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry I can't help, but iPhoto 08 seems a bit of a horses ass .... :(

I reformatted my Mac Pro this morning and installed iPhoto 06. IMO a much more user friendly program and you can get at your photos easily without iPhoto automatically starting .... :)

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

oh yeah, I know that. It would be great if every application/website offered an iPhoto browser to select photos, but they don't. That's why I do my own thing with my photos in Finder and only use iPhoto for slideshows and stuff.

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying you didn't know. But I find a lot of people blame the Operating system/series of programs, or a company when a product they didn't make doesn't work.

Personally I like the way iPhoto organizes things so I let iPhoto organize it for me. When I need an IM picture I juts put it in my pictures folder as a ~1MB duplicate doesn't bother me too much.

8. buffalo macrumors 65816

What do you do with the photo after you have put it on the desktop and uploaded it online? Does iPhoto still have the copy allowing you to drag the desktop file to the trash?

9. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the photo on the desktop is a copy of the original, so you can delete it