stupid iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furcalchick, May 24, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i like iphoto and all, but this is really annoying...i changed the file name of two rolls from "graduation_2" to just simply "graduation", and iphoto forgot that these photos existed. i changed back the first one to the name iphoto gave it (and would have been more work to reimport) and it shows up again, but i decided to reimport the second set, and still has the dash. anyway to get iphoto to recognize the photos without the dash? currently, this is the only two photo sets that have been dashed.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Are you trying to change the name of the roll from within iphoto, or the name of the folder in the iphoto library? The latter will confuse it, and lead to it not showing up properly.

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

change it in finder. in iphoto, it shows up as "graduation" while in finder it says "graduation_2". this is the only photo set it does it for. all the others match up.

4. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

iPhoto won't notice when you change something in finder. Is there another folder named graduation? I'd assume that's what is creating the _2.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

there is no other folder named graduation. i keep wondering why this happens to this one and not the others. any way to fix it?

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

How come you want to get rid of the dash so badly? People have had some bad issues when trying to rename photo's manually in Finder which are stored in the iPhoto library, so unless it's urgent, why not leave it?

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Best to NEVER do anything in the iPhoto library from Finder. Will most certainly create havoc -- corrupt photos, lost photos, etc. Just forget that file is there and do anything you want from within the app itself. You can rename your rolls to whatever you want, even combine photos into one roll, but just stay out of the finder!

8. stevo86 macrumors member

i've had a few problems with iphoto too... some of my photos needed to be rotated, so i did so in iphoto and it worked fine. But, when i try to import the file to facebook it shows up like it was before i rotated it... seems like rotating pics only applies to when you're looking at them in iphoto. any advice?

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

iPhoto stores two copies of an image. The original and the edited one. Make sure you are importing the correct image.

10. stevo86 macrumors member

haha yeah, that was it... i was looking under originals instead of modified, thanks.

11. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Don't export from finder. Export from iPhoto to, say, a folder on your desktop. Then go to facebook and import from that folder. Should stay rotated.

12. 66217 Guest

The rule with iPhoto is to never use finder. It is like iTunes, you never go to your music folder.

It takes time to get used to it, but it is worth the time.

13. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

learned my lesson. at least this only took 10 minutes. NEVER touch the finder with music or photos.