stupid Itunes updates every month

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stu3ufc, May 18, 2010.

1. stu3ufc macrumors member

god damn sick of my updates especially itunes which updates nearly every 2 months and it's never different or changed

install 9.0

month later

month later

month later

freaking lame - and a waste of time

i dont want to turn them off but it's annoying poping up asking me if i want to install the latest update so soon

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, if you prefer stagnant software that's rarely updated, there's always Microsoft.

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Don't mean to be rude but isn't one update a month a good thing? I could see an update every day getting very annoying but once a month? I am happy Apple is updating iTunes as often as they are.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Turn off the check for software updates automatically. :rolleyes:

5. wandal macrumors newbie

Just the same for me.

Really, the matter is related to the new Apple devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) and their sync & improvements, not to the iTunes itself. Not to the iTunes i need for my ol' Mac, at last. Even worse, every update i got a piece of unneeded software added to my machine, especially daemons related to USB that launch at startup. Nobody miss them.

6. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

ahahah sorry for the rant

no i dont like stagent software but it's annoying when i just already updated it and then another large update i gotta download and install shows up

and then it's the same - i never notice any differences

I know i can turn them off but I don't wanna - it's just annoying it's itunes nearly every month

thanks that explains it then

7. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

Jesus christ no!!!!! been a MAC user for 2 years now!! never ever going back :apple:

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

it's annoying when ur doing something on ur macbook then the update loads up and it makes it go all slow :( and it's just another minor update

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you want Apple to stop updating iTunes for the rest of the world, simply because you're annoyed by updates and you refuse to do the simple task of turning them off or ignoring them? Real mature! :rolleyes:

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

So tell it to download later :rolleyes:

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Whilst most of MR will tear you apart, can I just chime in that anyone with a slower internet connection, such as the 50kbps-3mbps (it varies based on how much Virgin want to shaft us each day) I have to use at home, it can be frustrating having to download a 80mb update, only to see no improvement.

But as others say (and what I did), was just leave the update, I mean I waited until I was back at uni to download 10.6.3, no big deal.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I find this annoying in Windows as well (although, unlike the OP, I do just turn off automatic updating). I have a Windows PC that's dedicated to watching net-based programming on my TV. If I wake it up, I want to watch something on it. Not be bothered to update Java or Acrobat or Windows.

To be honest, particularly on the Mac side, most of these updates aren't mission critical. You can just turn automatic updating off, run updates en masse once a month, and by and large, be just fine. I really doubt there's any huge issue with even putting off updating to once every time a dot release comes out.

Honestly, even on Windows... it's not that big a deal (although it's much worse on Windows -- especially since things like Acrobat or Java try to install their own software update monitors, if you let it, it'll literally be asking you multiple times a week to reboot for a software update :rolleyes: ).

14. mstrze macrumors 68000

But he's upset that this happens to him as frequently as 'once a month'. ;)

Isn't it possible to specify a time somewhere in software update when the auto-update occurrs? I know it automatically runs for me once a week, but I am never bothered by it. I am guessing there is some preference there. Maybe having it run at a more convenient time for you?

15. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

A popup window every single month??? How can you get any work done with that constant distraction? Even when it's not updating, it's always got to be in the back of your mind, "Is today the day?!?!" THE HORROR!