Stupid Mistake - re deleted files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JasonHB, Oct 20, 2010.

1. JasonHB macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

My parents have an eMac and it has been running very slow of late and it seems that the HD is near capacity so I have given them an external USB HD to transfer all of the photos and other stuff across to.

Whilst I was doing this, I copied the documents folder across and deleted the folder of the eMac HD.

I have now discovered that Entourage stores all of its emails, accounts info, databases etc in that documents folder and for some reason it did not copy across.

Why oh why MS would see this as a sensible place to store such important info i will never know but that is not the point.

I was going to use MacKeeper to try and recover the deleted files (free fully functioning trial) but their eMac is on OSX 10.3.9 and it only supports 10.5 and later.

I have it installed on my i5 MBP and was wondering whether I can use it from there to scan the HD on the eMac?

If not, are there any other "free" solutions, or will I have to pay for something like Stellar Phoenix or similar?

Any other bright ideas would be most welcome and get me out of a rather big hole.

Here's hoping

Jason

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

If you copied the documents folder to the external hdd, just copy it back and then delete anything you don't need. That's probably the easiest/fastest solution.

3. JasonHB thread starter macrumors regular

Therein lies the problem, I did copy the folder across but for some unknown reason the contents which contain the relevant information did not copy across.

I did try that first of all and that is when I discovered the issue.

Jason