Stupid newbie question (and ramblings), looking for advice...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by classie787, Jul 29, 2010.

1. classie787 macrumors member

Hello all. I'm completely new here, so be gentle! To show my ignorance, up until a couple weeks ago I thought an iPod was a just a simple MP3-type device that played music with perhaps a small simple screen which displayed text (such as track number, song title, etc). And nothing more. Late last month I picked up my cousin's iPod Touch and played around with it. I was shocked at how wrong my assumption was. I was uploading my photos (I'm a photographer, more on that in a moment), sending email with our home's wifi, checking the weather, playing games, etc etc. Beyond impressed, I started doing research as noticed a fourth generation of the device is expected to come out around September.

I did notice that the screen resolution didn't quite do justice to some of my photographs I uploaded. Resolution was good, but I was hoping for a bit more. With a Retina Display expected (but certainly not guaranteed) I am even more interested in utilizing the iPod Touch as an excellent way of carrying around much of my portfolio of photos in a very compact manner. That coupled with some other possible add-ons in the fourth generation (camera, faster processor, better battery life, etc) and I am quite convinced I will be buying a Gen 4 when they are released.

But here's the question (finally)--I'm greatly intrigued by many of the apps and was wondering if it might not be a bad idea to get started and acquainted with the iPod Touch now by buying a cheap 3rd gen 8gb model (if those exist?) or a 2nd generation model. Not sure how 2nd and 3rd generations differ, but if I could find a 3rd generation 8gb model for sale for say...$130, would I be losing much in resale?

Also, if I download apps into iTunes, then upload (or is sync the word?) them into the iPod Touch, will I be able to upload/sync those apps into any iPod Touch from there on out? That is, if I buy an app for a 2nd/3rd gen Touch, once I get a 4th gen model will I be able to upload that app into the 4th too? Or will I have to pay for that app all over again? Stupid question I know, but I wanna make sure.

2. ademuth93 macrumors regular

Minnesota: Land of the Lakes? You betcha!
    I don't know much about your resale question...

Regarding your second question, as soon as you sync an app to iTunes, you can use it on any iPod that is synced to that same library, *and you can download the app again on your iTunes account on any computer for free. (I'm not 100% sure on the second clause marked with an asterisk).

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the 8gb"third gen" is simply a rebranded 2nd gen so don't buy that. i suggest just waiting for a 4th gen and not wasting your money.

4. B.A.T macrumors 6502

If you can wait six more weeks or so for delivery then wait. If you don't mind spending $149 buy the 8gb model from the apple refurb store.

5. v2allen macrumors regular

v2allen

Personally, I would wait for 5 weeks, you would possibly get 1 or 2 cameras, retina display, all new design. Be patient unless your dieng for something right this second!

Hope I helped!

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Buying ANything now is a bad idea.

Just wait, and spend the time reading about apps and lurking on forums. Retina displays on the new iPods is 100% guaranteed to happen.

7. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I would also wait the five weeks. You can still surf the app store and download apps you think will be useful for you.

8. v2allen macrumors regular

v2allen

Ther'll be some amazing new features in the 4th generation most likely.:D

9. classie787 thread starter macrumors member

Although I'm anxious for an iPod Touch, I can wait 6 weeks. Thanks for your input, everyone. I think I'll just spend some time learning more about the iPod Touch and searching for cool apps and reading the forums. Thanks all!

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

If you can so can i! :D

You can join my thread for more speculations about the 4G Touch. See my sig.

11. v3allen macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's a beast thread

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Since you are a photographer, interested in carrying and showing your potofolio, I'd also look into the iPad. It's basically a bigger iPod touch, and less portable (won't fit into your pockets), but the bigger screen is so much better for looking at pictures!

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

But its also more than 2x as expensive! ;)

14. v3allen macrumors newbie

there are gadgets for the iphone that help with photography such as a deshakifier (idk what the real name is) and a light :p

15. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Today is not a good time to update to a new iPod touch

16. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I'd say wait for a new iPod. Leaks and reports suggest that a retina display will be found in the iPod touch 4th gen, perfect for photographers like you and I. And don't waste your money "getting acquainted" with the device, just like a Mac, you really do already know how to use it.

Good luck and happy picture taking OP! :)

17. zjzjn1 macrumors member

If you download an app to one iPod touch, as far as i know, you can redownload it for free on the other touch that is synced on the same computer and if you use the same account. For each app you pay only once.

And about buying now the third gen iPod touch, it's a stupid idea, wait until the second week of September!

18. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

A retina is most likely.
    You can re-download apps onto different devices. If not that would be a huge rip-off.