stupid newbie question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grame, Nov 16, 2007.

1. grame macrumors member

hi - sometimes when i'm typing the cursor stays in the same place (with a blue highlight) just switching letters each time i hit a key rather than letters coming one after another as normal. i guess i'm hitting some setting or other but coming from a windows machine i have no idea. any help would be great.

cheers

grame

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. grame thread starter macrumors member

usually it happens i safari. i think im accidentally making a tiny selection. in windows i would quickly select a URL or word in the google search pane and then hit backspace to delete it. but the mac seems to operate slightly differently in that that doing this seems to force a selection of one letter. oddly - it stays on the letter. canceling the selection seems to help. oh the weird and wonderful world of apple!

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I'll agree with wonderful but not so weird. The task you want to do is put a word or url into the address bar or the search bar unless I misunderstood. Well...to do this this just highlight it (select it) and drag it there. Kinda the visual representation of what your mind wants to do.

Try that in windoze. ;)

Again, forgive me if I'm not understanding what you meant.

Wait... you want to deselect or clear the address bar. To do that, click the icon next to the address (in here it's a little apple) and the hit delete.