stupid parental controls >:{!!! sucks up my power!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Feb 28, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So theres 2 accounts on the imac (in sig), and the admin isnt used, just for turning on the parental controls, i have the web filter on, i dont have anything else. But from me observing, its been sucking up the power out of my imac lately, and its really showing when encoding video and stuff!! its constantly going up at 100%!!! even though i quit safari and ichat (it records logs). the webfilter process barely does anything, but the parental controls process is just ridiculous, i mean, its like the speed of a .8ghz machine. Is there something wrong going on? cuz i dont think activity monitor and istat are incorrect.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And if you turn off parental controls, does it stop that behavior?

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Like my dad will ever believe me:mad:!! He is really serious about it, i really, do not know ANYONE my age who has parental controls on. I mean its my iMac, and I can't even control it, which sucks pretty bad, I think im going to talk to him next weekend, i dont have time on the weekdays, maybe he'll be a little more lenient, and take it off, so ill see, cuz i cant take random 100% shoot ups.

Plus its using up RAM and virtual memory

4. fandsw macrumors regular

I have Parental Controls on for my 2 kids' accounts, and set it so they can only get to Safari with web filtering turned on. I have seen no slowdowns on their accounts.....

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Open Activity Monitor
    Show All Processes
    Sort by % CPU

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

from day to day tasks, no, and only safari. but doing processor intensive stuff, then you may notice something

I know that...thats how i got this info!!

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Weird that your processor "like goes up to 100%" when you are encoding video. :rolleyes:

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

He wants to find a way to pursued his parents to remove the parental controls they set on the imac.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, I know that, I just want him to say it so I can close this thread. ;)

But now you've ruined the surprise.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Is this normal???

12. GirthP macrumors regular

I can't seem to control my parents with the controls here....

I need a mute and a pause function at least!!!

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Wait..

So when you're encoding video the processor usage shoots up to 100% and stays there?

And you think it's the parental controls?

14. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

no no no. The "parentalcontrols" process is shooting up to 100%. and stays there for a couple minutes. it goes down to 3.3% percent, normal, around there, and stays there for like a few moments, then, oo, wait, it goes up to 100%!! and once it went up to 104%

15. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Don't worry, you got 2 cores in that bad boy. So long as it doesn't beg it to 200%, you're OK. ;)

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Really? Well how old R U? Coming from your point of view it sounds like you are too old for your dad to have YOUR computer set to lock you out of certain things so how old R U and why is your dad protecting YOUR computer from YOU?

17. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

My sophomore year in high school, I got my first computer to call my own. If was payed for by my father, and it was in my room. (At the same time, my brother also got a computer...he is two years older.) It was the dell specced in my sig, and it had Norton Internet parental controls and web filters. I also did not have administrative accounts.

After about 14 months, my dad decided that I have never given him a reason to not trust me. He gave me admin rights, and from then on I have always been in control of the computer. Two months ago I even took off his admin account because he hadn't used it since the day he changed my account, and he could not remember his password.

The MBP specced in my sig was purchased by my dad for me last Tuesday. It is going to be my college laptop, and my dad was actually ready to buy it several months ago. I was the one waiting for the updates. When we got home, I plugged it in, and ran the setup. I offered to give him his own user account but he said it was not needed and he has not even used the computer yet.

The point I am trying to make is that maybe with some time and patience your father may decide that it is reasonable to remove parental controls. I am a senior now, and my dad asks me for advice before he makes any change or purchase even remotely related to electronics. He has come a long way since he gave me admin rights, and I think that your dad will come to his senses too.

PS. Because of almost everything listed above, when I talked to my dad about buying a MBP for college, he loved the idea and research I did so much that his next computer will either me a iMac or a 17"MBP.

Now, sorry I can't help with your actual problem...

18. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Haha, thanks, but it still bugs me, then ill be having 1 core cuz the other is used up!!! 1 core is so 7 years ago.

I hope I am the same case!!

I am 14. And I don't know why.

19. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

i didn't tell you this but if you have access to the OSX disk you should know what to do from there if you want full control.

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Dude, he's 14. Parental controls were implemented for a reason...

21. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Except when his dad tries to use the computer and discovers the password doesn't work :)

22. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I know, password reset, but my dad would find out, this is off topic, my question is, not answered yet, is this normal?

23. GirthP macrumors regular

buy an external firewire disk, install os x on that, and boot off of that sans parental controls...

or just obey

24. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

You're 14. Your dad has every right.

More to the point, everybody knows that you'll be looking at pr0n (don't try and deny, it's natural). There's stuff on the net that will mess with your mind. Seriously.

Just wait a couple of years, and you'll be ok. Maybe you can earn your dads trust.

25. mr.light macrumors 6502

Is what normal? Your question not being answered or the way your computer is behaving?:D

Sorry. Had to say it!

But I have no idea if it is normal. But if I had locked my daughters computer and found that she was trying to unlock it behind my back I would be furious and likely remove the computer for a while.