Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

counciler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
The thing used to say things related to "app started...ended....errors....NSLog stuff" But now it's just gray and remains blank. What's going on?

counciler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
UPDATE: I noticed when I open another program the console runs like it should. White screen and logging. So there must be some setting that I can change. I don't know where it is, though. I've looked online for "disabling/enabling the console" and can't find anything.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
What version of Xcode?

Is this the console in the Organizer or the debugger console?

How are you launching your app (what menu item)?

counciler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
All versions.

Well it says debugger console. So I assume that's what it is. NSLog can be posted to it. I'm not running it in debug mode if that's what you're asking.

Build and run.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
OK, I'm running Xcode 3.2.6. I think that all ways to launch an iOS app do cause something to appear in the debugger console.

If I Build&Run-Breakpoints on on the Sim I get about ten lines of verbiage from the debugger followed by NSLog output.

If I Build&Run-Breakpoints off on the Sim there's a single line that says Session started, followed by NSLog output.

NSLog output also ends up in the system console app if you run on the Sim. printf output ends up in the Debugger console but not in the system console. Do you see any of your NSLog output in the system console?

It's pretty similar if I run on the device.

Is it possible that there is output but it's not visible? Does the scrollbar look like there's content? There was at one time some font bugs that caused problems with the debugger console. Could the text color be white? Does the debugger font look OK in the Preferences > Debugging panel?

Does your code do any messing around with the standard output streams? dup2?

If you stop at a breakpoint in a function that has a local variable, like an NSString, and you right click and choose print description to console does something appear?

counciler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
There is no output to the debugger console, none of your methods listed prints anything to it. It remains gray and does nothing, no scrolling, no invisible code, nothing. It normally has a white background.

None of my code messes with output streams. This all did start happening when I tried to write to files. But even after putting all that code into comments it does the same thing.

Not sure how to access the system console. What is that?

counciler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
It's gotta be a problem with some settings somewhere. Starting a new project gets rid of the problem. There's got to be a file somewhere that stores the settings for this particular file. Like, for example, the position and sizes of the code window, groups and files window and whatnot. That stuff is set to default settings when I start a new project. So, this kind information has to be stored somewhere. All I have to do is delete the settings associated with this project. Anywhere I can do that?

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Right click on the project file in the Finder and choose Show Package contents. Make sure the project is closed in Xcode and that you have a backup. There is one file in there that is required "project.pbxproj" Delete the other files in there (usually there are 2 files with your user name in them, although Xcode 4 adds some more files). Close the package and try again.

Deleting those files does fix a bunch of problems with the debugger, but I haven't heard of this console window problem before.

counciler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Thank god. That fixed the problem. This was so frustrating. I tried creating a new project and copying over all the code and that created a bunch of new problems. It's one thing to have coding problems, it's another to have XCode program problems. Gah! Anyways, appreciate all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.