Stupid question about airplanes that's been bothering me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Aug 2, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This extremely stupid thing has been on my mind for awhile, and now I'm hoping to get it answered. Let's say an airline in Europe orders an Embraer ERJ regional jet. Those things are built in Brazil, right? So now, how in the hell do they get it over to Europe to enter service? I assume it's flown somehow, but the range on those things is very short, and that giant pond between the two continents makes refueling stops impossible. Same thing goes for getting a 737 from the US to Europe or an A320 from there to here. The range isn't enough for such a flight, right?

2. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

*Wikis the Azores*

Ohhhh......OK. I feel sorry for anyone who's stuck on an RJ for that long of a flight then :D

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

At least with very small aircraft they use ferry tanks which are installed temporarily. And as skunk says there are routes to be taken were the distances are shorter between airfields.

4. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Some of these aircraft are actually sent over in pieces and put back together.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Too triangular for me.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Got it.

But not unlike landing on a popsicle stick.

Much fun.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

737's & 320's can make the US-EU hop quite easily. For a ferry, you have no pax or cargo, and the range is that much greater.

AFA the RJ's, it depends on the model and empty load. The ERJ140 will do nearly 1,900 miles with standard loading.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've got way to much time on my hands. If you've got a small plane in the Americas and want to get it to Europe then get it to Halifax then fly to Greenland then Iceland then Scotland problem solved.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Embraers going to Europe generally follow the east coast of the US and Canada. An average route starts in San Jose dos Campos, stops somewhere in the Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale, then someplace in the Northeast US. Next stop is Gander, Newfoundland, followed by Reykjavik, then onto europe.

The only place some jets need extra fuel tanks to get there is Hawaii. Hawaiian Airlines installed fuel tanks inside their Boeing 717s when they were delivered from the mainland. You can see a photo Here.

11. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    I don't know...When looking at that photo, it makes me think like you'd be flying in a giant bomb. :eek:

:confused: :rolleyes:

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Like you say, empty planes have a greater range.

Actually, for Boeing aircraft assembled in Seattle, the bigger ones are often delivered without passengers but will take freight. Freight rates on delivery aircraft can be quite low depending on the airline.