Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I just bought a magic mouse and unlucky as I am it dropped on the floor while unpacking :mad: Since this is the first time I use one, is it normal for the top surface to slightly slide or should it be completely still/non movable ?

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Sigh...then it's broken....it does some sliding, a few millimeters, on both left and right side...

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Mine moves to the left and right ever so slightly.

Does yours still work? That's the main question.

Yes it works, but you know, it feels stupid to think to have broken something even before starting to use it

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Sigh...then it's broken....it does some sliding, a few millimeters, on both left and right side...
I haven't dropped my magic mouse, and there's some very slight play in the top surface, in all horizontal directions. It's probably less than 1mm however, so unless your mouse shows significantly more looseness than this I wouldn't worry, especially if it doesn't hamper everyday use of the mouse.

Unfortunately the magic mouse is held together with magic glue rather than regular ol' boring screws, so you can't really take it apart and see if there's any way to tighten it back up again.

If you're really concerned about this I suggest you take it back to the point of purchase, tell them what happened, and ask if the mouse seems OK or not from their experience. You could also lie of course and say it was like that coming out of the box, but that would most likely damage your karma and I don't recommend it. :p

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Well, it's not really magic glue of course, but rather quite regular boring glue. Makes manufacturing cheaper I suppose, and, in the case of the "magically" glued-shut Apple keyboards in particular, make cleaning and repairs impossible in the case of fluid spills and whatnot.

Really disappointing I have to say. Instead you have to junk the whole thing and add to the enormous piles of electronic waste we humans produce each year. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.