Stupid question about Onyx

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gusious, Mar 7, 2009.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

So i downloaded OnyX and when i installed the package, the app automatically installed in my Applications folder. But OnyX is an Utility app so i want it in the Utilities folder.

The thing is that i'm concerned about whether it will be able to pick updates when the app is updated. The reason i'm thinking this is because i've heard that some apps won't update if you don't have them in your Applications folder like iWork(i think...)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the installer put it there, I wouldn't move it ... there might be other dependencies as well.

3. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

4. ddoonie macrumors regular

I have moved all of my apps into corresponding folders without worries. They all update as needed (when you run the program). I do keep my system preferences in the original location though.

5. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Hmm I'd hate to tell you wrong, but over time I have literally downloaded thousands upon thousands of programs and tested stuff just like that- moving them to a different folder. Only very rarely does anything get messed up, and it's usually a bug in the app.

Go ahead and try to move it. It certainly won't mess up your Mac.

6. jive turkey macrumors 6502

The only apps I have had trouble with after moving are Adobe apps. Everything else has been smooth.