Stupid question about serial numbers for iPad Mini...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kal-037, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I just got an iPad mini and the serial number starts out F9FQxxxxxx
    I bought it from Best Buy, I was reading this and was a little concerned if my iPad is new or refurbished:

From an Apple user on Apple.com/forums

How does one tell if their product is refurbished or new? My older iPad minis started with D... is this whole serial number/refurb thing a myth? I'm just curious... thanks.
    It's obviously not a HUGE deal, but I'm hoping since I paid full price for a "new" iPad that it is actually is new. lol

Kal.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Does your model # start with M? I'm not talking about the Serial number here. Model number and Serial number are not the same and the one you quoted mentions bout the model number and not serial.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Good catch!

4. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Thanks for the help, I'll check the model number once I open it, (I held off until I was sure.) I called Apple and one of the technicians was curious about the number too, so he ran it, and said the iPad is brand new. He said the serial numbers never reveal anything, and something like: "they are just identifying numbers." I assumed they were just a code for Apple to keep track of sales and inventory.

Kal.