Stupid question about the iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by barkins, Aug 18, 2007.

1. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

Is it possible to connect an Xbox 360 into the iMac and use it just as a monitor?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The iMac has no video input. It is possible by using some 3rd party hardware via the USB port

3. barkins thread starter macrumors regular

barkins

Any idea what this 3rd party hardware thing is called?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think the elgato eyetv 250 has something called game mode.

5. slimslam macrumors newbie

The item you are looking for is the elgato tv hybrid:
    http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna

It allows virtually zero latency and therefore is good for gaming. I was hoping to buy one for my new imac to play on an xbox 360 but i am unsure because it only works at 50hz and so some games for xbox (e.g Gears of War) will not run properly through it. I have also heard reports that other games have not displayed very well. Also it only allows composite not component connection so the games will not play in HD quality. It may be worth a try but i would advise reading around this product to see if there are any more reports about it, as far as i can tell there are very few options apart from this since the imac has no video in.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you don't need the TV function of the elgato and have the space, put the $150 towards a decent monitor (new or secondhand) with composite inputs. Then you can game and have a dual-monitor iMac.

7. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I have an eye tv hybrid and use it with my old X Box and it works wonderfully. Forget "virtually" zero latency ... there is no latency issues at all.

the posters are correct though...it will not display HD. I haven't tried using it with my X Box 360 so I'm not sure if there are any unique issues that might come up with it.

Good luck.

darren