Stupid Question About Wi-Fi Sync....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Oct 12, 2011.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I apologize in advanced for my stupid question, but I can't wrapped my head around something.

So Wi-Fi Sync will allow me to sync my iTunes library with my iOS device. How exactly do you decipher what exactly you want to sync? (music, movies, tv shows, ringtones, apps, etc?) Also, I have a 50 GB music collection in iTunes but a 32 GB iPhone 4. So what happens here? Will it add music until it runs out of space? Are there settings within Wi-Fi Sync? (I'm assuming there are.)

Again, I apologize for my stupidity.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not stupid, actually it's so simple that people think it MUST be more complicated!

You know how to make all those selections now? It's just like that. Except there is no wire between your computer and your iDevice.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Sorry, that doesn't make it any clearer to me.

4. ifoner macrumors newbie

You set this up in iTunes. All setups for iTunes are still in iTunes. iTunes will recognize your phone over the wifi network, and sync based on how you setup iTunes.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sync goes through iTunes just like it always did. It's just that iTunes can still see the phone, even though there is no wire. WiFi in and of itself doesn't affect any of the issues you asked about any differently than if you weren't using WiFi sync.

If you don't know how to sync without WiFi, then you won't know how to sync with WiFi. That's a different topic altogether.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll try it and see if there any issues that I might still have. My point is that I'm unclear what happens if you have more media in your iTunes library than space on your device. I'm assuming you still have to select what media goes on what device. That would answer my original question. I am probably just thinking about it wrong from the start.

Wi-Fi sync would be cooler if you didn't need your device connected to a power source to sync. Personally I only connect to power when I go to bed. And by then my computer is in sleep mode. Yes I know. Waaaaaaaaah.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Same as non-WiFi sync, there are a number of ways you might choose to deal with this situation. Those options are the same with WiFi as they were before.

You don't need to be connected to power to sync. It can, however, automatically sync when you plug in - which I find to be very handy. You can initiate a manual sync any time you want, no power cord required.