Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
leopard dosent come with any type of cd key or serial key...so i can just borrow any of my friends disk to install it on my macbook?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
There is nothing stopping you except whether you are honest or not. It is technically illegal so please don't but if you really want to you can pirate it that way.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
im def BUYING...i like to have hard copies just in case...but thanks for the quick answer

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I thought there's an embedded serial key that gets sent to Apple as soon as Leopard is installed and you have Internet setup so this copy is dedicated to that computer only.

dL

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
I thought there's an embedded serial key that gets sent to Apple as soon as Leopard is installed and you have Internet setup so this copy is dedicated to that computer only.

dL

i'd have to imagine this number would be linked to the registration details that are sent to apple when starting the computer for the first time too. only a guess but it does say 'talking with apple' at the setup :)

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
only a guess but it does say 'talking with apple' at the setup :)

It's telling Apple the stuff you told it to tell Apple. Like where to send you wonderful announcements and whether or not you're a switcher. Nothing forces you to register your software. Real thieves don't register anyway.

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
It's telling Apple the stuff you told it to tell Apple. Like where to send you wonderful announcements and whether or not you're a switcher. Nothing forces you to register your software. Real thieves don't register anyway.

haha, very true.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
leopard dosent come with any type of cd key or serial key...so i can just borrow any of my friends disk to install it on my macbook?

One way to legally save some $$$ on Leopard is if the people you live with (ie. family, roommates) also have Macs, and they also want Leopard, you can buy the Family Pack and split the cost. You can install the Family Pack on up to 5 computers.

Here are the * rules:
* The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.