Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I just got my mac mini. I have always thought I was fairly computer savy (not a genius) but I truly don't see the point in the bluetooth option that I added on to my machine. Yes, I know you can use bluetooth mouse but I have heard iffy reports from others on macrumors about lagging and I decided i like the logitech mx1000 better. On that note, what other features can internal bluetooth in my mini really provide me. Thanks for the help and I'm glad you all are smarter than I am. :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Bluetooth isn't just for mice (or keyboards). There's a ton of possibilities. For example, if you have a BT cell phone, you can auto-sync your contacts.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Yes, while I did get a BT keyboard and mouse, I was more excited about the other possibilities. I have a BT phone and currently use iSync to sync contacts wirelessly, the Addressbook will pop up onscreen with caller ID when someone calls and Salling Clicker allows me to control my computer (a great companion to Airport Express). I believe you can also get printers with bluetooth.

The future is even brighter. I hope to be able to use my Mac as a speakerphone via my BT phone soon (hopefully with 10.4). And, if it is not already supported, I know people are looking forward to using a BT headset to listen to music from their Mac or wirelessly have iChat conversations.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
In addition to syncing with a cellphone, and using the cellphone as a modem via BT, one thing I find Bluetooth really useful for is file transfer. For small files it's very convenient, just click on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar and choose send file. A box will pop up on the computer (or phone, or PDA, or whatever) you choose to send it to asking if you want to accept, you click yes and the file transfers. I use it this way all the time to transfer files between my Powerbook and my Powermac or Windows desktop. To be honest, I wouldn't consider buying a new Mac without Bluetooth.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I recently had a temporary replacement cellphone without Bluetooth. Argh! What a nightmare trying to get numbers/files across the divide!

A colleague has just bought a PC without Bluetooth and is having huge hassles trying to figure out how to get his camera phone pictures over to his PC easily.

I agree completely with what was said above - never buy a cellphone or a Mac without Bluetooth. It will make your life so much easier.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
:rolleyes:

I do like the threads about girls...

;)
Edit: this post shouldn't be here, it was for the "if I buy an iPod, am I fool?" or however that thread is... anyway, BT has helped me a lot with my mobile phone, KB and Mouse...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.