Stupid question - Difference between PS2 and PS2 Slim?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by danny_w, Oct 13, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Besides the obvious slim profile, of course. I played my son's ps2 (regular) and have some games for it, but he took it back to college with him, so I am looking for another one. Were there specific problems with one vs. the other model? What should I look for? There seem to be some good deals on craigslist, but I have heard that some models had problems. And no, I am NOT interested in the PS3.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

A handful of PlayStation titles (notably Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions) fail to run on the regular PS2 at all (Special Missions fails to recognize Metal Gear Solid at the disc swap screen, for example). This problem appears to have been rectified in the slimline versions of the PS2, where most of the previously unplayable PlayStation games can now be played.

The Network Adapter is built into the slim, not the regular PS2. There is no expansion port so you cannot add an internal HD, this has been criticized as a limitation due to the existence of titles such as Final Fantasy XI, which require the use of the HDD. The official PS2 Linux also requires an expansion bay to function.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

psychofreak, thanks for the clarification. So it looks like the slim model is both better and worse depending on how you look at it. FF XI never interested me (to me FF was, is, and always will be a single-player game). Linux on the PS2 also does not interest me; there are enough other platforms for "real" Linux.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

neither is anybody else :)

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

For the regular PS2, stick with SCPH-50001.

It has a better laser, and also is newer, features the built-in IR receiver, and DVD-R playback.

Stay far, far far away from ANY SCPH-30001, espically SCPH-30001R.

I personally prefer the bigger version of the PlayStation2.

Seems more durable to me than the slim models.

Could also have to do with the fact that I use an HD Loader software and the hard disk. Just maybe, that might have something to do with it. :p

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The original models had problems as people have said. The slims from my experience, atop being unimaginably slim, seem to boot a lot faster.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Since Sony have cut PS2 backwards compatability in the PS3 now, I'm going to scrap that and go for a PS2. Going off this thread I should probably buy a 2nd hand Slim one, since they're still quite pricey here.

8. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I got my slim for $100 used, I love it. ;)

IMO slim is the way to go, I prefer the 'cd nub holds the disc' as opposed to have a tray where the disc could wobble around (especially with mine being vertical).

For all intents and purposes I think they've cut costs here and there so the slim is obviously cheaper made, manufacturing wise but I believe slims are more fool-proof and I'd count on a slim having less issues (none so far with mine).

I do like the built in lan adapter (even though I have zero use for it ;)) and generally the size is sorta neat. Otherwise, really it's the same innards in a smaller house.

Micro-sized, it's the in thing. :)
    goes quite well with my modded PsOne system ;)
    (can't wait to mod my slim ps2..will do soon)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Shouldn't the PS2 be useless without using the LAN adapter since it's (going off the other thread) boring without online play? :confused:

10. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I'm a single-player guy myself, never had any use for online play of any kind. It just doesn't interest me.

11. stagecustom macrumors regular

haha true.

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

OOOOH BURN
    Give it a rest Jimmi...really. :rolleyes:
    Way to take something out of context just to attempt to get in one of your usual zingers....congratulations. :cool:

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Okay so let me get this straight. It's okay to not use the internet features on PS2 games, but when it comes to Wii it's boring because it doesn't have online features? If it's anything different than that please explain.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^let me ask you something....why are you comparing a last gen gaming console(that only had one/two online game) to a console whats sole purpose is to play with others(plus the fact that this gen in Online ready)

You do know online wasn't that big of a deal last gen(until the xbox showed up)

This gen it is expected to have online play. Marjority of PS2 games was geared towards single play.

I'm trying to figure out your logic here...

Bless

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Then you should tell Z2D that there are games geared towards single player on the Wii too...

I just don't get why someone would say system X is okay, but system Y is missing the same feature yet isn't okay. S'all there is to it, it's not my logic :)

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Don't worry 2ny, Jimmi's just out on a "protect Nintendo at all cost!" witch hunt (based off my opinion in another thread) that I refuse to partake in. :rolleyes:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah, so he's just being anti-Wii. At least we know his stance on this system now!

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Guess I better sell all my Nintendo stuff and buy a pair of Bill Gates frames then too, eh Jimmi? :rolleyes:

In case you didn't get it from 2ny's post:
    All systems of this gen should have online play. This does not include the Ps2 since it is last gen but it does include the Wii, which has halfassed online...and therefore...QUITE LAME.

But do, please have another drink of your Nintendo kool aid while your fanboy side continues to show. I'm done replying to your BS Jimmi. Get a level head one of these days, develop one iota of maturity and learn what it is to partake in a meaningful conversation and then I'll converse with you. Until then, my boy, continue with your ramblings....I'm sure someone somewhere finds your zingers and one liners to be witty. :rolleyes:

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

hey, hey, hey, hey, hey... :mad: :p