Stupid question from Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by estee065, May 30, 2007.

1. estee065 macrumors member

OK, I am in my second day of the rest of my life (ie. I just switched from pc to mac). Loving it, but I am easily confused from a life of MS.
    I downloaded google earth, which saved in the downloads folder I created. From there I double clicked the .dmg file to install it. So far so good. Now it shows up as a removable disk and double clicking that brings up a window with the icon for the program. My question is, where did the program install to, and if I drag the icon to my dock can I send the disk to the trash? Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but it's not my fault, it's Bill Gates! I need some serious re-education.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes you can.
    Drag the Google Earth Icon to your Applications folder too!

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Just drag the app icon from the disk into your applications folder – this will copy it onto your hard drive. Then you can delete the dmg file, and add the app to your Dock if you so wish.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Drag the Google Earth to the Applications folder. After that, you can open the Applications folder and pull it into the dock. The .dmg file can then be ejected and trashed.

5. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thanks for the quick replies. Learning on a Mac after years of Windows is like trying to bat left handed. I'll get there, though.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In about a week you'll be steady....the MacRumors guides are great (there are other oddities, and different ways to install things) :)

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Nah, it's like finally getting to bat right-handed after years of being forced to do it with the left. :p A little weird at first, but MAN so much better once you get the hang of it.

Welcome to the forums. :)