Stupid question - how to get ' character in email

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ascender, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ascender macrumors 68020

This is baffling me. I'm trying to email someone whose email address contains a ' in it. Obviously I can't copy and paste it from an example email, so how the hell do I get it in a mail as it doesn't seem to be one of the few characters you get the option of entering when composing a mail?

Thanks,

Mike.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Wow! Just seen that… I guess you will have to create a Contact and then use that to input the email address…

Edit: Scrap that thought it doesn't work either… Unless you create the Contact on your Mac and then Sync to the iPhone…

Edit 2: What a pain, but yes, that works…

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

are you talking about á (option e, then a), or â (option i, then a), or à (option-`, then a)? if not, i have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

EDIT: oh, oops. i didn't realize this was for the iphone. have you tried pressing and holding on the letter?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're talking about putting accented characters into an email address, the iPhone supports those fully. Press and hold the letter, and the accented versions ("A" has nine of them!) will appear in a row. If it's a single quote you're looking for, then create the contact in Address Book and sync.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:D:D That works :D:D Thanks!

6. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

No, I'm talking about an apostrophe as in O'Leary for example.

Guess the contacts way on the Mac is the workaround. Strange omission though.

Thanks guys.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I didn't know you could have apostrophes in email addresses. I guess I was wrong...

8. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

I know, I thought the same. At first I thought it was Outlook's display name rather than the actual email address, but nope, there's an apostrophe in there which was a surprise tbh.