Stupid Question (I Know)

WAMozart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Does Apple Charge taxes to Georgia if ordered online :confused: How Much?? stupid question i know just curious
about to switch :)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I believe Apple charges whatever applicable sales taxes that your individual state has. Here in Idaho our sales tax is 6%, so Apple charges 6% when I make an online purchase.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyway. If you do some digging at apple.com you can find the information you're looking for.

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
i actually believe apple only charges tax is there is an apple retail store in your state.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
can you please summarise the thread in the title like "dose apple charge sales tax online" instead of "stupid question", it stops people like me who know nothing of how US sales tax works having to the read the thread.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
They will charge you tax whether or not there is an Apple store in your state. Buy from Amazon if you want to avoid tax but lose BTO capability.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
rdowns said:
They will charge you tax whether or not there is an Apple store in your state. Buy from Amazon if you want to avoid tax but lose BTO capability.
Yeah if you want to avoid tax buy from amazon. They have great deals, considering they offer free shipping and no tax. that $300+ right there. That's where I'm buying from.

dredmorbius

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2005
And always remember, there's no such thing as stupid questions..... ;) :p

Just having some fun. Good decision on your switch. :)

WAMozart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Thanks Guys, i was going to use BTO because i really needed it BAD :D
there is two Stores in my state but very far away.
How Can i Change the thread title Hector (i am a newbie after all) :)
I'll just use my Fathers TAX Exempt Cert. :D

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
sk8erboy said:
i actually believe apple only charges tax is there is an apple retail store in your state.
If this is true then crap! I live in Indiana and there is ONE freakin' store here. Thanks to that one location I have to add 6% to my purchase price haha. Oh well at least I can buy on EDU and I get a 100 dollar rebate :)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Chrispy said:
If this is true then crap! I live in Indiana and there is ONE freakin' store here. Thanks to that one location I have to add 6% to my purchase price haha. Oh well at least I can buy on EDU and I get a 100 dollar rebate :)
It's not true. Apple charges sales tax in probably every US State, because they have operations (stores and otherwise) in just about every state.

I can tell you for a fact that I paid tax in GA 4 years ago when I bought from store.apple.com. I definitely reccommend buying from another place...most will offer different combos that resemble various BTO options. Plus you pay less for RAM and they often throw in incentives.

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
rdowns said:
This isn't true. I live in Louisiana, we have no Apple Stores and I was charged tax. I have a feeling I will be whenever I order a new PowerBook as well. I asked about this once before. Check out this thread. I'm post #4.