Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Just bought a new Mac book pro and turned it on. How do I know if I have leopard or an older operating system. It did not come with a box that says leopard or anything. I do have two grey CDs (1 of 2 and 2 of 2) that say OS X install version 10.5.

I bought this for my wife who is the mac user and it is a surprise and dont want to ask her.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Easiest way to tell, look at the apple in the top left corner, what color is it?

Blue - Tiger
Black - Leopard

The install cds are Leopard though.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Just bought a new Mac book pro and turned it on. How do I know if I have leopard or an older operating system. It did not come with a box that says leopard or anything. I do have two grey CDs (1 of 2 and 2 of 2) that say OS X install version 10.5.

I bought this for my wife who is the mac user and it is a surprise and dont want to ask her.

Go to the :apple: menu (top left)
Pick about this computer / about this macintosh
It'll tell you what version of system software you are running (sorry I can't show a picture, I'm at work)
10.3 = Panther
10.4 = Tiger
10.5 = Leopard

Easiest way to tell, look at the apple in the top left corner, what color is it?

Blue - Tiger
Black - Leopard

I've never noticed that before! Also, the Leopard menu bar is slightly transperant. And the dock slopes away from you when at the bottom.

mdparks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Thanks. I have a black apple so I have Leopard. Thats good. Now I have to try to figure out how to use this thing.

MaRXeDES

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2005
help....

this is a little of topic but here goes.....a couple of yrs back i bought an ibook G4 and it came with 3 Mac OS X Panther installation discs. Unfortunately i lost the laptop...so recently i bought an old imac G3 Graphite 600MHz and it's loaded with both OS 9 and OS X v10.0. I've tried inserting the Panther discs which i got but they ejected themselves after a while. Is there any way i could get Panther to install from the discs i got instead of buying a retail copy of something which i already have? Any help would be appreciated.....**crosses fingers!**

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
this is a little of topic but here goes.....a couple of yrs back i bought an ibook G4 and it came with 3 Mac OS X Panther installation discs. Unfortunately i lost the laptop...so recently i bought an old imac G3 Graphite 600MHz and it's loaded with both OS 9 and OS X v10.0. I've tried inserting the Panther discs which i got but they ejected themselves after a while. Is there any way i could get Panther to install from the discs i got instead of buying a retail copy of something which i already have? Any help would be appreciated.....**crosses fingers!**

No, the discs are made for the specific computer, in your case - the iBook G4 and wont work in anything else.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK

If the install Cds say 10.5 on them it should be leopard right? The leopard upgrade has a big x on it. The 2 cds that came with my macbook pro are grey and have 10.4 on them (tiger).

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC

One word Pacifist
You may have to go to the developer website to get an older version. Here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.