Stupid question... (Print window)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dazzer21, Nov 8, 2010.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

...I'm missing something! In OS9, you opened a window and went to File/Print Window to print the contents of a window. How do you do that in Leopard?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. If the window is open with nothing selected within it, 'print' is greyed out. If something is selected, print is accessible but just prints out the selected file(s)

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You're looking to print out a list of the file names in a particular folder right? I'd be interested in learning how to do that.

5. GGJstudios, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What app are you talking about? In every app I open, the Print option is not grayed out, even if you don't click on anything in the window.
    The OP said nothing about file names or folders. How Do I Print A File List (finder)

6. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to print the contents of a folder window from the Finder as a listing, including filename, file size, date modified etc. In OS9, there was a 'print window' option, OS X doesn't appear to be able to do this.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have looked for this too and the only workaround I found was making screenshots of the simple Finder window.

Btw, your thread title is really non-descript, future generations might be looking for the same and a descriptive thread title could help finding it.

8. GGJstudios, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to print a list of files in a folder - MacRumors Forums
    How Do I Print A File List (finder) - MacRumors Forums
    Print a list of the whole file directory - MacRumors Forums
    How to print a list of folder contents with all attributes ...
    http://www.searchwaresolutions.com/

9. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

You can't seriously be telling me that the only way to do this is through Terminal? You can't be serious...

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you read the threads, you'll see many methods, including the app I posted a link to.

11. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I tried the copy and paste thing, but all is does is copy the filenames; looks like it's down to a 3rd party app, then! Does 10.6 enable direct window printing? Will 10.7...? At least I've just tried to do the same on a Windows 7 machine - looks like you can't do it on there either, although I might have been looking in the wrong place. Ah well...