Stupid question time regarding activating 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by largefarrva, Sep 12, 2014.

1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

We've always had the carrier activate our iPhones in-store (except the 5....which was done in a Radio Shack store) but this time around we were able to order through the Apple Store App.

To activate our phones (both are on Verizon) we just have to pull the SIM cards from our 5s' and put them into our new 6+'s, correct? Or do we have to head to the Verizon store to have them activate the phones for us?

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Your phone should come with a new SIM that is already set...just turn on the phone and activate on the phone. You shouldn't even need to swap SIM cards. You'll be done in seconds.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll be able to do it at home. I've never needed to pull the sim out of my old iPhone and put it into the new one, if memory serves me. I just set it up on my account with my current phone number

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Put the SIM inside the phone, turn on, sign in with your Apple ID & hey presto... that's all you need to do.

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

You don't even have to change sims. The new phone will come with one, all you have to do is turn it on and go through the process of activating it at which point your older device will lose service.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

When you turn on your new phone, your exising SIM in your existing phone will be deactivated.

Do you backups in iTune the morning of the 19th!

7. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks for the info. I figured that I would have to transfer the SIM over and everything. Now that I think about it, when ordering the phone I do remember seeing a $30 upgrade fee from Verizon...so I guess our account is already flagged to anticipate the switch next week. Makes sense.