Stupid Question : Use Crackberry as a BT modem?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by undrpsi, Mar 30, 2010.

1. undrpsi macrumors regular

Well, after years with the iPhone I am being forced to 'upgrade' to a Blackberry. Well, not forced...my company is supplying me a 'no cost' personal phone...they need to get a hold of me for technical issues after hours. So to sweeten the deal they made this offer but they use Verizon. I know...we 'might' get an iPhone 4g with CDMA in June...we'll see.

Anyhoot...I was just thinking out loud. Blackberry's don't come with the ability to hotspot their 3G connection...but can be tethered and used as a bluetooth modem.

It's a stretch but the iPad is bluetooth....wonder if it will be possible to see the Blackberry and use it as a modem? ANY other suggestions? I wanted the Pal Pre (which has wireless hotspot capability) but it doesn't work with our enterprise server software (the Blackberry's, not surprisingly, has a very robust and configurable interface for networks.)

Anyone?
    :confused:
    Jay

2. grahamtearne macrumors regular

As of right now this is not possible. However there is some promising work going on in the jailbreak scene.

An application called iBluever (http://ibluever.blogspot.com/) is being developed to allow bluetooth DUN connections from mobile phones that cannot create wifi hotspots, much like Blackberries.

He is hoping to release it soon through the Cydia app store.

If the iPad gets jailbroken (which I assume it will) then I cannot see why this would not work on the iPad too.