Stupid refurb question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FearlessFreep, Dec 8, 2009.

1. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Is this the refurbished version of the current 13" MBP? I'm looking to get the entry-level 13" MBP?

I'm looking to get one (don't tell me to wait for Arrandale, thanks) and will go refurb if I can.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Other sites...

You may want to check other sites, though...you can get a brand new one from Mac Connection for $1049 (after rebate)...only $50 more...and there is no tax, no shipping, etc. They are also offering some other things with it. I'm planning to get a 13 inch one soon and have been eyeing the ones at Mac Connection because they seem to have the best prices on new ones that I've seen.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

sorry, sales tax from macconnection if you are in VA:

We collect sales and use taxes for sales shipped to the State(s) of Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

its *still* only $50 more for brand new -- and IMHO -- Id rather pay the $50 for new over a refurb.

Dont get me wrong, I think refurbs are great (I have bought several myself, even with the CA tax), but not always, like in this case...

5. FearlessFreep thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah the mail-in rebate. One of retail's greatest scams. Your out-of-pocket expense is still the same while the vendor keeps your money for eight weeks hoping you won't file the rebate. Jump through the hoops and wait, wait, hoping the third-party rebate processor actually sends you the rebate. No thanks. I'd rather the retailer give me the money up front.

So when comparing the MacMall price, it's actually no better than most other vendors and is more in some cases because of the tax. The extras are a plus though.

So I'm comparing $999 vs. $1149 really. Because that's the out-of-pocket.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just remember, you legally are required to pay tax unless you live in a state that charges no sales tax. Just because Amazon doesn't charge you like Apple, does not make you somehow not responsible.

With that finger wave said, people have been audited before with no problems.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I fully hear you about rebates, but macconnection is different.

Their rebates are done at the time of purchase, online.

After you order, you click a few more buttons and your rebate is processed.

Over the years, I have ordered my macs from Amazon, MC, smalldog and powermax-- all with varying results. But so far MC has been 100% perfect for me... you mentioned MacMall, which I dont use, so I cant speak of their rebate reliablity.

8. FearlessFreep thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but the MacConnection prices all include mail in rebates and the form to print and mail is even posted on the site. I might bite if it was an electronic rebate, but it doesn't appear to be in this case.

I'll stick with shopping for the best real deal, meaning out-of-pocket expense.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Well, sorry bout that. Maybe it was amazon? :(

Been a couple of years since I bought new Macs, and the last set was from MC, all I remember was how easy it was and how quick I got my $$ back...