Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Why does Apple make people pay for an upgrade like Tiger? Its not a new OS is it? Couple reasons im mad is because ill be buying a new PM G5 in January and it obviously wont have Tiger in it then few months Tiger will be out. Then I would have to pay for this upgrade to utilize 64-bit when i just bought a new machine. I dont feel like waiting for Tiger to be put in the PM's, its hard enough to wait till January. Then i will have finally made the switch from PC-->Mac.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it's windows 95, 98, ME.

NT 2000 2003 and XP are another group of m$ OS's that share the same fundamental core.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
benwa02 said:
Why does Apple make people pay for an upgrade like Tiger? Its not a new OS is it? Couple reasons im mad is because ill be buying a new PM G5 in January and it obviously wont have Tiger in it then few months Tiger will be out. Then I would have to pay for this upgrade to utilize 64-bit when i just bought a new machine. I dont feel like waiting for Tiger to be put in the PM's, its hard enough to wait till January. Then i will have finally made the switch from PC-->Mac.

if you get your pm g5 in january and tiger is released let's say in april i recommend to wait for tiger 10.4.2 anyway. that gives the big guys here at the forum time to play around with it, find the bugs :eek: and you upgrade in august to a robust system :p . so there are 7-8 month between buying your pm and buying tiger. thats at least my plan for an imac g5 rev.b. i hope they release it still with panther 10.3.7. :D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the 95, 98, 98se, ME (my excrement edition) versions of windows are called the 9x OS's the NT 2000 2003 XP are based on a NT kernel repackaged with bit's bodged on (like a fisher price theme and support for 8 cpu's) in other words the bollocks series and the slightly less bollocks series.

man i feel like a teacher, it's all weird

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
andiwm2003 said:
if you get your pm g5 in january and tiger is released let's say in april i recommend to wait for tiger 10.4.2 anyway. that gives the big guys here at the forum time to play around with it, find the bugs :eek: and you upgrade in august to a robust system :p . so there are 7-8 month between buying your pm and buying tiger. thats at least my plan for an imac g5 rev.b. i hope they release it still with panther 10.3.7. :D

thing is i can really use a new computer asap. my current one just is not cutting it anymore but i wouldnt want to have to go buy tiger later on and i really dont see myself waiting til august but maybe. i dont know what to do.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Go for a new computer when the new PowerMacs are released. You will love them. Tiger is a very nice upgrade, but you can get it later when everything's fine and dandy. And who knows, your PM may be qualified for an upgrade.
-Chase

macreator

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
Just get a PowerMac in January and pay the $129 for Tiger when it comes out like everybody else. It's a tad bit pricey but hey, it's Apple, we're paying a premium for a great system. Also Tiger will have some great new features, I have the BETA and am already loving it. $129 isn't that much in the scheme of things and if you really want to, wait a while and buy it used or on eBay for like $50. But buy a PowerMac, don't wait just cause of Tiger.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
ya i guess ebay wouldnt be a bad idea to try and find tiger, forgot about that. hopefully it wouldnt take too long for it to be auctioned off. im currently a student so money is a big issue (as is with everyone right) and after the PM G5 + adobe suite + macro studio etc...i will most likely be drained of it for a bit. so that is why i want to get my moneys worth but i need the PM soon plus im just so anxious to get one waiting till august would kill me. the more i talk about it the more i want it now.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
benwa02 said:
ya i guess ebay wouldnt be a bad idea to try and find tiger, forgot about that. hopefully it wouldnt take too long for it to be auctioned off. im currently a student so money is a big issue (as is with everyone right) and after the PM G5 + adobe suite + macro studio etc...i will most likely be drained of it for a bit. so that is why i want to get my moneys worth but i need the PM soon plus im just so anxious to get one waiting till august would kill me. the more i talk about it the more i want it now.

As long as you're a student, don't forget to take advantage of the edu discount. Both on the computer and any software upgrades.

Also, Macromedia and Adobe both offer education discounted suites, if I'm not mistaken, so use those too.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Blackheart said:
As long as you're a student, don't forget to take advantage of the edu discount. Both on the computer and any software upgrades. Also, Macromedia and Adobe both offer education discounted suites, if I'm not mistaken, so use those too.

O you better believe ill be taking full advantage of those discounts. Macro & Adobe do offer awesome EDU discounts but still all that combined is alot to spend but are such fun programs and worth every penny.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
daveL said:
Yet another "I want Apple to give me everything for free" thread. Yawn.
Duff-Man says.....yes, but this board would half empty if people actually looked for the info and knew a little about what they were talking about before they posted.....oh yeah!

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Blackheart said:
As long as you're a student, don't forget to take advantage of the edu discount. Both on the computer and any software upgrades.

Also, Macromedia and Adobe both offer education discounted suites, if I'm not mistaken, so use those too.
If Panther is any indication on pricing then Tiger will only be $69. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
You also might get a really cheap discount if you buy your computer right before Tiger ships. Didn't they sell upgrade only disks of Panther for something like $5 if you had bought a computer within the previous month?

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
i'd advise the person planning on making the switch from PC to Mac to wait until the next revision of the PM comes out. it'll be faster and better for the same amount of money. you'll have to wait a little longer than january, but not too long. when i switched to my powerbook Ti 15 in, they released the Aluminum version like weeks after. and because i was new to the "Mac scene" i didn't even realize this till i got into macrumors.com and such and figured out that shoot, i bought early. but the computer is still awesome. check out that Buyer's Guide tab right here at macrumors.com (look up) for a good reference, i'm not sure where the product cycle is at. i'll be updating to tiger though once it comes out. i did the same for panther. quality software from apple.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
ifjake said:
check out that Buyer's Guide tab right here at macrumors.com (look up) for a good reference, i'm not sure where the product cycle is at.

ya ive been checking there often. ive been told that apple will prolly do an update in january round the San Fran conference. the PM's are due for an update so the buyers guide says. thanks.

thats pretty cool that apple will let you get a cheap update if you bought a PM shortly before Tigers release in the PM's

..ignorin daveL's comment

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Keep in mind:

You dont have to upgrade to tiger, I know a lot of people still using jaguar.

Tiger is not 64 bit, and if it was you wouldn't notice any difference.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
benwa02 said:

You can also do like a lot of Windows users did (and do): Just get a copy from a friend or something like bittorrent and shut the hell up about it. Being convinced it's unfair should soothe your conscience a bit...

[ducks to evade flame war]

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
andiwm2003 said:
There is no reason to wait two revisions. Unlike Windows, Apple does not release software with bugs numbering into five figures. A wait from the release of MacOS X 10.4.0 until the MacOS X 10.4.2 update will be several months in which you deny yourself a lot of wonderful new technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.