stupid Time Capsule question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FortWorthMac, Jul 6, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Ok forgive me if this is a stupid question....

I got my new TC (2TB) in the mail today and installed it flawlessly to my current home DSL network.

But almost immediately after getting it setup and running I started dropping my wireless signal all over the house. Everything on WiFi would stop working.

I guess my mail question is, a) do I remove my Linksys router from my network (in other words does the TC replace my current router) and b) what's causing my network to drop out?

Thanks
    David

2. Gunner86 macrumors member

Yes remove your linksys router and replace it with the time capsule, the time capsule is a really good router so no need to use any other router, that is how i have my new 2011 time capsule set up and it works great and no wireless signal lost at all, plus i am getting some insane file transfer speeds from my imac to my time capsule (25mb/s on a wireless conection)

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll give that a go tomorrow or Friday and see if that helps. I guess I really wasn't aware that the TC is also a router. I was thinking it was mainly an expensive NAS.

But then that leads me to another question, won't I need to re-setup port forwarding for my apps that require it?

Thanks for the reply and assistance.
    David

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

While the TC is both NAS and router, it's not a DSL modem. If your Linksys is performing this function, you can't just swap the two over, you need a DSL modem to go with it (which is what I have).

My setup is:

---Phone line ---[Draytek DSL Modem]---Ethernet to WAN port---[TC]

5. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I currently have a DSL modem hooked into my Linksys router. However I may be switching to UVerse soon and I think they provide a modem/router combo.

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You can just do a straight swap then. I was dead impressed with how easy it was to get up and running. I plugged in my TC and immediately the Airport Utility asked me if I wanted to migrate my config from my old Airport Extreme Base Station.

7. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

If you replace your linksys router with the Time Capsule, you'll probably have to set up any port forwarding you want using Airport Utility->Advanced->Port Mapping. (But maybe if they're UPnP-aware applications you might not need to? I'm a bit unclear about that...)

Another option is to leave the TC plugged into your existing linksys router, but just sort out the wireless connection issue. My guess there is that you had both the linksys and the TC creating wireless networks, possibly with the same name. Try turning OFF the wireless network on one of them, for example the linksys router, and configuring the TC in bridge mode. The wireless network would be configured on the TC, and the port forwarding and IP assignments would be on the linksys. That's how mine is set up because my ISP-supplied router actually is actually connected with coax (FIOS service) so I can't replace it. Anyway, all works fine.

8. mikepro macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the new Time Capsule does not seem to be UPnP aware. One of the things that I miss from my old awesome DLINK DIR-655....

9. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

giving it a try tonight, right now with JUST the TC. So far no disconnects. I'll give it a day or two then probably plug my Linksys back in.

One main reason I went with the TC is I want to have it in the house "hidden", away from the main computer equipment.

Thanks for all the advice so far......

David

10. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok......

Should the hard drive in my TC be showing up under devices?

It's under "shared" in Finder but doesn't seem to want to let me "paste" anything to it.

Additionally, on my iMac (where I have TM setup) when the backup starts TM drive shows up on my desktop but upon concluding it disappears.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.....

Thanks

11. ANewUser macrumors newbie

Is an internet connection needed for use with TC?

If one is using TC to simply backup one's mac ... why would an internet connection be needed at all? Or perhaps it isnt, and if so, how does one setup TC for use w/o internet connection

12. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

In Finder, the TC shows up under "shared", not under "devices", that's correct. I guess because it's not a directly-attached device, it's more of a server.

I was able to drag-drop copy; select the TC under shared, double-click the folder that shows up (it should be named with whatever your internal disk name is). You might have to wait a few seconds now, and then you can see the .sparsebundle that contains all of your backups (one .sparsebundle for each machine). Now you should be able to drag files and drop them (or paste them) into that window so that they appear on the same level as the .sparsebundles. At least, I could, without any permissions problems.

That's the way mine works too, and I like it that way. When you go thru the steps above it will also show on the desktop, but I don't know if the next backup will disconnect it or not, since it was "manually" connected.

Regards,
    Brian33

13. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure that no internet connection is needed to use TC as a backup point. It just has to be part of the same local network your Mac is on. If you don't have any network set up right now, you can use the TC to set one up as a wired, wireless, or both network, and attach your computers to it.

Configuration varies depending upon what you have in place and what you're trying to do...

14. laudern macrumors 6502a

ok im still a little confused as to what the TC can do. I have an ADSL 1.5m/b internet connecting. If I buy a TC can I just get rid of my current router and just use the TC?

15. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

The Time Capsule has the capability to act as a router, an ethernet switch, a WiFi access point, and a simple NAS (network attached storage), for Time Machine backups.

When I had DSL service, my phone line went into a DSL modem, and an ethernet cable connected the DSL modem to my router. The Time Capsule can nicely replace the router, but it cannot replace the DSL modem.

It's possible (though unlikely) that your DSL modem and router are in the same device. In that case the TC could not just replace that device (although it could be used in conjunction with it).