stupid to buy iMac now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Holmez, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Holmez macrumors member

Hi,
    my mom is wondering of buying my dad a iMac for christmas. Is i stupid to buy one now? since the avrage produc cycle in the buyers guide is way overdue? How long will u people guess before theres and update?

2. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

you should do it (depending on your circumstances of course).

i bought my folks a nice little 20" imac for christmas around black friday (my dad was ready to go for a cheapie dell and i preempted him).

apple will always update products and the next revision of any product is always around the corner. at some point you'll have to decide this is the time to get it, or drive yourself crazy always waiting...

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You should buy it now. It will be a wonderful xmas present. And your parents probably won't care/know if a new model is released anyways. :D

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

iMacs are the hotness. Buy five. Any time is a good time for iMac.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think it's a terrible time to buy now. With iMacs due to be updated and MacWorld just weeks a way, you should definitely wait.

6. Tibbar macrumors member

I got a previous generation Intel iMac on eBay for less than $500. It also had warranty, but that was lucky. Even though new ones are coming out, there are still good deals for under $800 used. Unless your parents are 3D graphics artists & heavy gamers, they won't notice a difference between the new and old.

7. Holmez thread starter macrumors member

maybe my mom should by one now then. My dad will use it for office reltated tasks, internett, look at photos and some amatuer video editing with a DV-cam

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I say it's Christmas so buy now... but if I were buying for myself, I would wait. Waiting until the first week of January is not too long. And it is very likely that the first week of January we will see the iMacs being updated at MacWorld.

For gift, buy now. For self, wait three or four weeks. Really want it now, buy it now. All we will likely see are speed bump type updates. The iMac seems like a perfect product, there is no reason to change it. The technology is still pretty good/fast.

9. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I say "buy now" technology always changes you can get a better iMac in 5 years.

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Wait

Till after macworld. If there's an update you won't feel so bad, if there's not you've only waited a couple of extra weeks.

You can always give them a 'card' stating your intentions.

11. RainMeister macrumors member

Here's what I would do.

Give dad a Christmas card with a photo of the iMac.

Pick up the current generation 24" after the new models are announced on January 5.

Merchants like Amazon, MacMall, and MacConnection will likely drop prices of the current gen by several hundred dollars if history is any guide.

If the price drop isn't significant, or the new model is to kill for, then get dad the new iMac.