Stupid to buy iPhone now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semicolon, Jul 7, 2012.

1. semicolon macrumors newbie

My family is upgrading phones today, and I really want to switch from android to getting an iPhone, mainly to sync everything to my macbook. But since the iPhone 5 is potentially getting released within the next few months, should I just wait? I don't care about having THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET, I just want a good smartphone that isn't too bulky and can sync with my computer.

Right now the only major upgrade the phone seems to be getting is the aluminum backing....I don't care about a larger screen and actually hate how large my current android phone is!

I appreciate any advice!

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would personally wait and see what the next iPhone offers
    But the 4s is a great phone and will still be a great phone even when the next one comes out

4. traumuhhtize macrumors member

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Wait. You'll regret it if you buy now.

6. tekno macrumors 6502a

I had a similar predicament and chose to just buy what I wanted from what was on offer at the time (ended-up being a Samsung S3).

The reason? I looked at all the previous iPhones and decided they're all essentially the same - I believe the iPhone 5 will also be the same: a minor upgrade with the same form factor (probably incredibly similar to the iPhone 4/4S).

I used this as an opportunity to try something else and so far have enjoyed it and am keeping my options open.

7. Anyhuman55, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Anyhuman55 macrumors newbie

8. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

==========================================================
    So let me just get this right, you just troll Apple boards waiting for an opportunity to interject some silly pro-Android anecdote pushing that lame ecosystem on someone wanting what is arguably the best and most coherent ecosystem available? Lakes are good for swimming. Find one and go swim.

----------

Then buy the 4S. It's hands down one of the best phones on the market and won't become obsolete when the 5 is introduced. Dual core, an OS that harmonizes with the sum of its parts. Great phone. Highly recommended. Ecosystem and app store are top notch. Nothing like it available.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Last July I got an HTC Evo from my local Japanese carrier and, while its an ok device = its not seamless like iOS devices are = I will be switching to what ever iPhone comes out ~July 2013 when this contract is over...

This means I will probably have to activate one of my older phones or get a pre-paid phone to use while I wait for the release cycle of the next iPhone (5S, 6, etc...):p

10. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Eh, if you've got the option, why not keep using your Android until the new iPhone comes out and snatch it up? Worst case scenario you may be able to get the 4S for less money, or will enjoy better resale value on your new 'the new iPhone'.

11. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Yep, wait. If you don't want the latest and greatest, (based on previous patterns on AT&T for base models) the 3GS will be pushed out of the lineup, the 4 will be 99 cents, the 4S will be $99, and the 5 will be $199

12. digitalhen macrumors regular

Anti-troll, and troll, all in one post? Impressive.

Apple isn't the be-all and end-all of computing and mobile devices. I have a Mac Pro, MacBooks, but I have to say - the Samsung Galaxy S3 is worthy of a second look if you're considering a new phone.

We have an iPhone 4, and an S3 - they're both great.

13. emilcar macrumors newbie

I would wait but I have a friend who always buys his iPhones at the end of their cycle because he obtains better prices from his network (Movistar in Spain). He does not need the best iPhone but a good iPhone for a reasonable price.

14. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

What's impressive is how a troll pretends to own Apple products in hopes of justifying his Samsung fanboy point of view. Galaxy S3's have been dying and Samsung has been quietly replacing them but would you include that in your post? Nope, i didn't think so. Here's a hobby you should switch to instead of trolling, it's called the rope-less bungee. It's all the rave in never-never land. Enjoy!

15. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I would just wait at the moment as the iphone 5s will be around the corner.

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

There's no time like the present. I'd buy now.

Although it will be highly hyped, the upcoming model is likely to be nothing more than a warmed over iPhone 5.

Buying now offers the advantage of getting into contract sooner which will position you to be eligible for an upgrade sooner, to what will quiet likely a much more worthwhile model in the future.

17. appleisking macrumors 6502a

ur a year late to the party, but thank you for your contributions. :p

18. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Although the same does apply a year later.

We are a few months away from a new iPhone. It will have improvements. Wait if you want to have the latest device for as long as possible. Buy now if you want a cheaper deal. There are always better contract offers at the end of the cycle.

19. digitalhen macrumors regular

My S3 survived a tremendous fall (albeit very scratched up) - and I replaced it with dirt cheap parts on eBay and it is still rock solid. But, in day-to-day I'm using my iPhone 5. FaceTime etc are too much to give up.

Samsung quietly replacing them? Not in my experience.